cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian skews closer to Equifax or Transunion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian skews closer to Equifax or Transunion?

So, because we can no longer get our Experian score, which does it skew closer to, Equifax or Transunion? My wife and I are going to buy our first home, and because I heard that lenders usually look at your middle score, I was wondering as my wife's scores are nearly 80 points different.

My wife: Equifax 743/Transunion 666

Me: Equifax 718/Transunion 698

I know there's never a certainty, but it would seem to me that this Experian score must skew one way or the other. Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Experian skews closer to Equifax or Transunion?

Welcome to the forum.  If you have negative (lates) information on your CR, EQ tends to be the lowest so you could use that as a lower bound for your EX FICO score.  Beyond that I wouldn't venture to say.  What can say is that anything that you do to help your FICO score like reduce CC debt will have a positive effect on all scores.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Marty56! My wife has one 30-day late, from January 2005, that appears on both her Transunion and Equifax. I got it successfully removed from her Experian though.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops, I was actually looking at an old Equifax credit report. The only place this late payment is found is on Transunion.
Message 4 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

It is a tought call on a late payment that shows up on only one of your CRs.  A good rule of thumb would be if the late is valid, then do nothing, otherwise dispute.  My reason is the if you dispute a valid late that only shows up on 1 report, the OP might decide to report it to the other 2 CRAs.  Also depending on the age and severity of the late, it might also be better to leave it be, especially on a closed account or one that has been inactive since you dont want an ol TL with a 6 year old 30 day late deleted from your CR.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.