Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain differences in FICO scoring?

tag
sixfour1
Established Member

Explain differences in FICO scoring?

I am sure this has been asked many times before, but why is there such a big difference in my Transunion score 620 and my Experian scoire 680. They both have the same enguiries and they both get the same information but there is this big difference in score.

Starting Score: 568
Current Score: 684
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Explain differences in FICO scoring?

Each bureau has a different scoring algorithm.

Message 2 of 5
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@sixfour1 wrote:

I am sure this has been asked many times before, but why is there such a big difference in my Transunion score 620 and my Experian scoire 680. They both have the same enguiries and they both get the same information but there is this big difference in score.

All CRAs use the same fundamental Fico model for determining score but each CRA is allowed a degree of customization. That being said, score differences of over 30 points on Classic Fico 08 are highly unusual and almost certainly due to something being different between the CRAs.  The probability is less than 1% that of having a 60 point difference in Classic Fico 08 scores if files are truely identical in all respects. Not sure where you are getting your scores but, timing could be a factor if they come from different sources.

I have differences in # of closed accounts among the CRAs. One CRA dropped off a closed account with 29 years history last year, the other two CRAs have indicated they will drop off the account 12/2016.

Generally, inquiries associated with opening credit cards only affect one CRA. So, if you have any new cards in the last 12 months, your inquiries are likely to be different. Given your score difference is 60 points, perhaps you have a public record showing up on one CRA file but not another. This is a fairly common occurrence. Less common but still possible is having an original loan amount report differently (SJ can fill you in on this as it happened to him on a shared secured loan). It is even possible to have a difference in lates on file between the CRAs. 

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

A spread of 60 points cannot be explained solely by the differences in tweaking of the scoring algorithm. Either your comparing different scoring models, or something is different in the data contained in the files.

Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It appears there is "something" different. The large gap is too big for there not to be an issue somewhere.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.