Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Rebucketing Effects - 757 to 690 on Yr 4 -Upd: Now up to 764

tag
nickf4rr
Established Member

Re: Extreme Rebucketing Effects - 757 to 690 on Yr 4

Interesting...wondering what will happen to my scores once I only have one active card...

Starting Score: 621 TU
Current Score: 621 TU
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Update:

Now that close to a year has passed the following scoring patterns have changed a bit.

The difference between EQ FICO based on number of cards with zero balances has narrowed considerably. With only one reporting FICO is 770 and with all reporting FICO is 759 so there is only an 11 point difference as opposed to a much larger difference back when I was first rebucketed and had a sudden change down to 690 based only on my oldest account reaching 4 years.

At the time I was also astonished that adding a new account, which normally causes a score drop, caused a fairly large increase in my score. Subsequently I discovered the new bucket strongly factored in how many cards had zero balances.  As the accounts have aged this sensitivity has decreased substantially.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 12 of 18
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

Update:

Now that close to a year has passed the following scoring patterns have changed a bit.

The difference between EQ FICO based on number of cards with zero balances has narrowed considerably. With only one reporting FICO is 770 and with all reporting FICO is 759 so there is only an 11 point difference as opposed to a much larger difference back when I was first rebucketed and had a sudden change down to 690 based only on my oldest account reaching 4 years.

At the time I was also astonished that adding a new account, which normally causes a score drop, caused a fairly large increase in my score. Subsequently I discovered the new bucket strongly factored in how many cards had zero balances.  As the accounts have aged this sensitivity has decreased substantially.

This was a great read. Thanks for posting.

Message 13 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@lhcole77 wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

Update:

This was a great read. Thanks for posting.

+1, thanks CnC!

        
Message 14 of 18
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Hate to revive a moderately old thread, but very interesting to read indeed! My oldest card will be approaching 4 years in June, and assuming I won't have to apply for a graduate loan right away yet that will likely result in a HP on EQ, it should be interesting to see what, if any, effects it will have on my EQ score.

I think I'll perform this experiment as well, and collect the same data points as well as any other factors I think may play a role. My AAoA will be at the 2.666666666666667 mark by the time my history ages to 4 years.

Message 15 of 18
bobbay
Established Contributor

Looking forward to seeing your results Daybreak.

to others does the LOC count  and age if it was never drawn?  I have read issues in other threads from I think PSECU LOC that you have to draw it for the clock to start on the CRB or that when you do the first draw it resets to the date of first use?  Any comments there?   In addition, with scoring I had a few accounts with negative history and the ratio of negative account to total accounts was high however, since my rebuilding phase the ratio of accounts with negative history to accounts with no negatives has dropped considerably...does anyone know how that is factored?  I suspect positive but I am not sure?  My theory here was dilution in the ratio of bad accounts reporting and taking the hit on AAoA.

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 16 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Hate to revive a moderately old thread, but very interesting to read indeed! My oldest card will be approaching 4 years in June, and assuming I won't have to apply for a graduate loan right away yet that will likely result in a HP on EQ, it should be interesting to see what, if any, effects it will have on my EQ score.

I think I'll perform this experiment as well, and collect the same data points as well as any other factors I think may play a role. My AAoA will be at the 2.666666666666667 mark by the time my history ages to 4 years.

I'm lookin forward tou your experiences in June.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 17 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Update:

Unlike the prior experience with EQ04, EQ08 is not affected by the number of cards with balances.  My EQSW was recently "upgraded" and my EQ08 FICO did the following when a few cards with zero balances reported small balances with no material change in overall util (around 10%)

1 of 4 with non-zero balances: 766

2 of 4 with non-zero balances: 765

3 of 4 with non-zero balances: 763

If you review the earlier effects described on this thread this is almost insignificant. This brings into question the value of having only one card reporting a balance in maximizing FICO. At least the 08 version.

Interestingly, just before these my Amex charge reported a balance change from 20k to 5k and the FICO08 score increased from 757 to 766. When SW used FICO04 Amex charge balances were ignored and had never impacted EQ04. Whether this is some sort of fluke or not remains to be seen by more history and data but even though this is still a small effect. Had the balance been on my Citi card instead I would have expected a 20 point change or so from the relatively large balance delta.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.