Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Score Drop

tag
Meeradal
New Visitor

Extreme Score Drop

Hello,

I recently made a $40 purchase on a credit card and paid the bill when it came in. When the charge registered with FICO, however, it dropped my score by 30 points! I contacted customer service, but they just gave me a speech about the formula and charges not registering for 30 days, etc. The response was concluded with a somewhat condescending reminder to "pay my bills on time". As my record reflects, I am very punctual when it comes to paying bills. Is it normal to see such a steep drop after making such a small purchase? I charge more than that when I use my cards typically, so I don't understand how $40 has taken me from a good credit score to a dismal score.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Extreme Score Drop

How many of your credit cards are reporting balances above $0?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 9
j_ayala

Hi I have the same problem I paid in full my credit card and my balance was reported $ 0 why FICO DROPPED my score? I thought if your balance are $0 we have good credit record
Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

For scoring, you should have 1 card report a balance of 1-10% total util
Message 4 of 9
Meeradal
New Visitor

2 of 4, but I'm not even close to being maxed out. 

Message 5 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Meeradal wrote:

2 of 4, but I'm not even close to being maxed out. 

I don't think its the actual number, but the percentage.  There are other people who have experienced similar drops when 50% of cards were reporting balances, regardless of the actual utilization.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 9
j_ayala

So FICO is not company we could trust? Because if your paid your doubt to try save money after take all your credit down to zero is bad , why? We have to still buying just for good credit?
Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Util factors in, they want to see how you handle the credit.  When your scores get to a certain point, it really doesn't matter.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 9
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

@j_ayala wrote:
So FICO is not company we could trust? Because if your paid your doubt to try save money after take all your credit down to zero is bad , why? We have to still buying just for good credit?

fico is one of few we can actually trust

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.