Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO 08 discounting AU account balances

tag
IamB2
Established Contributor

FICO 08 discounting AU account balances

Hi Everyone,

I just got an alert from Barclay's that my score has changed. Logged in and sure enough score went from 697 to 683. YUP - 14 point drop. So I got worried and to make sure nothing hinky is going on, I purchased the score and report from TU on here. It appears that the drop was due to ALL my cards reported a $0 balance. There is a balance on an AU account (About 10%), but that is it. This month I left about 19% report on the Barclay's card (3% total util), but it hasn't reported yet. Due date was on 8/9. Should report soon.

But it is funny, though. A while back, I posted a note about how the simulator seemed to ignore balances on AU accounts. Now I think it is confirmed that FICO 08 doesn't account for balances on AU when it comes to showing credit usage. Here is a screenshot of what changed.

Left (Carrying a balance on two cards - besides the AU account). Right (carrying no balance besides the AU account). Left shows the score of 697 while the right has a score of 683.

ShowingBalance.PNGShowingNOBalance.PNG

At least now I know not to worry about it if this jumps. But I was trying to rotate which card shows balance and it looks like the update was done just before Barclay's reported. It will report a balance of $191/$1000 so about 19% or so. Total Util is at about 3%. Just some data points. That is all.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: FICO 08 discounting AU account balances

@IamB2 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just got an alert from Barclay's that my score has changed. Logged in and sure enough score went from 697 to 683. YUP - 14 point drop. So I got worried and to make sure nothing hinky is going on, I purchased the score and report from TU on here. It appears that the drop was due to ALL my cards reported a $0 balance. There is a balance on an AU account (About 10%), but that is it. This month I left about 19% report on the Barclay's card (3% total util), but it hasn't reported yet. Due date was on 8/9. Should report soon.

But it is funny, though. A while back, I posted a note about how the simulator seemed to ignore balances on AU accounts. Now I think it is confirmed that FICO 08 doesn't account for balances on AU when it comes to showing credit usage. Here is a screenshot of what changed.

Left (Carrying a balance on two cards - besides the AU account). Right (carrying no balance besides the AU account). Left shows the score of 697 while the right has a score of 683.

ShowingBalance.PNGShowingNOBalance.PNG

At least now I know not to worry about it if this jumps. But I was trying to rotate which card shows balance and it looks like the update was done just before Barclay's reported. It will report a balance of $191/$1000 so about 19% or so. Total Util is at about 3%. Just some data points. That is all.

Same thing happened to me when i let my amex TE, which is an au account , report. I got an 20 points ding :-) down from 807 to 784 . Once i let my BCP report again it went back up to 807, so I learned my lesson let my main cards report balances :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@IamB2 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Do you share the same address / family name as the primary cardholder?   I think that may make a difference whether AU accounts are included...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@IamB2 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Do you share the same address / family name as the primary cardholder?   I think that may make a difference whether AU accounts are included...

I don't even think that matters anymore , but i could be wrong. I have an amex TE with my mom same address and same last name. When i let it report as my only account for optimal scoring, i got hit and score went down by 25 points, till one of my "main cards" reported an few weeks later. Just an data point, i know my situation isn't liek everybody else

Message 4 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I would be very surprised if FICO08 completely disregards AU accounts;  the few "official" explanations that I've seen from Fair Issac indicate they are still included however there are more advanced algorithms in place to weed out frivolous AUs.   Not sure how this works in the real world though....

Message 5 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I would be very surprised if FICO08 completely disregards AU accounts;  the few "official" explanations that I've seen from Fair Issac indicate they are still included however there are more advanced algorithms in place to weed out frivolous AUs.   Not sure how this works in the real world though....

Yea since nobody really knows their algorithms , its hard to juded how little or how much au accounts are factored in. I learned hardway that not to rely on AU account to report for utilization purposes didn't think it would be that big of an hit :-(

Message 6 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah we can speculate but it's hard to pin down.   Perhaps FICO08 only includes AU accounts for spouses or something similar....

Message 7 of 14
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

The financial relationship of DW and me is screwed on tighter than the lid on an unopened jar of jam. Our credit reports list the same history of addresses, and we have had a joint credit card for a long time. Yet not a single AU card is used for utilization.

Message 8 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

The financial relationship of DW and me is screwed on tighter than the lid on an unopened jar of jam. Our credit reports list the same history of addresses, and we have had a joint credit card for a long time. Yet not a single AU card is used for utilization.

Maybe AU accounts aren't used for utilization because in almost all cases AUs are not liable for their puchases ( AMEX being the obvious exception ), only the original cardmember is.    

I'm guessing they would still be factored into AAoA calculations though.

Message 9 of 14
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I'm guessing they would still be factored into AAoA calculations though.

Probably not. My EX AAoA is six years with a score of 849, while DW's numbers are eleven and 850; I can find no other suspect than the AAoA to account for the discrepancy.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.