Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO 800 with credit cards only

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

FICO 800 with credit cards only

Is it possible? How high can one's FICO get using credit cards only? (no mortgage, auto, student or other types of debt)

If you have achieved FICO 800 with credit cards only, please provide details.

CRA and score (ie EQ 810): 

Total number of accounts: 

AAoA: 

Age of Oldest Account: 

Other useful info (ie closed accounts still reporting): 

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO 800 with credit cards only

I can't give stats without looking it up, but at least two moderator emeriti, I know fused being one of those and I think beamMEup being the other (can't remember), both hit 800 with zero loans reporting; only CCs.

Message 2 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

You can add another two. My EQ inbetween two mortgages was 813. DW's TU was 814.

Message 3 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I know it is posible see my siggy

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 9
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

My son had an 819 with two paid car loans  at age 27, no credit cards or mortage.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

My son had an 819 with two paid car loans  at age 27, no credit cards or mortage.

With no open trade lines, what score is that exactly and where did he get it? Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

They were true Fico Scores all three from a lender when he began to think about pre qualification for his first mortage.I actually was with him and the bank officer when the scores were pulled.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 7 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Thank you. From personal experience, I'll assume the 819 is an Experian FICO II. But could it also be at the time he was an authorized user on a healthy card of yours? Having a thin file, having a zero utilization and being young all ding your scores, often considerably, we have been told time and time again.

PS: It occured to me that that the set of three mortgage scores might be based on the so-called industry version. The score sheet will list the range that was used.

Message 8 of 9
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

Is it possible? How high can one's FICO get using credit cards only? (no mortgage, auto, student or other types of debt)

If you have achieved FICO 800 with credit cards only, please provide details.

CRA and score (ie EQ 810): 

Total number of accounts: 

AAoA: 

Age of Oldest Account: 

Other useful info (ie closed accounts still reporting): 

Is it possible?  Yes. 

Is it probable.  Not so much.

From what I've read here, FICO scoring looks at a good mix of account types.  If you mean from your question, absolutely nothing reported on your entire history but credit cards, then it could be possible to achieve (anything is possible), but would be more of a challenge.

If you mean having had, somewhere in your credit history, some installment/auto loans, mortgages, etc, but NOTHING reporting currently, or within recent timeframe, with the exception of credit cards, then I think that's probably a more realistic scenario.  The history will show the mix, even though the current history may show only credit cards. 

As with anything credit related, YMMV !

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.