Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Points still not back!!!!

tag
Chula7
New Contributor

FICO Points still not back!!!!

Has anyone experienced this. I'll explain as best as I can. I filed bankruptcy 4-08, was discharged 8-08, rebuilt my scores from high 400'ish to low 500'ish, had gotten my scores up to 659 (Transunion Fico) and 662 (Equifax Fico), then I nearly maxed out my cards. I have 8 cc's now (4 major, 4 store), and only 1 with a balance. My scores had hit a low of 605-607. Now, after paying all cards down to $0 except 1, I only got back 41 points. I used the simulator, and it projected an increase of 40-80 points. Well if course I got back the least I could. Now I'm sitting @ 647. I have 6 installment loans, which were already on my reports, so nothing has changed. No lates since my filing. Is this normal, or should I have kept a balance on more than 1 card. I'm happy to have some of my points back, but I expected more. I understand it may also be that I have too many new accounts, but I just want my points back. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Starting Score: 662
Current Score: 652
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Points still not back!!!!

What was your overall util before you paid down your cards?

When did you open up your new accounts?

Message 2 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Looks like the simulator was accurate in its projection. The score increase came in at the low end of the range.  Again the simulator is an estimate and some times the simulator will indicate a time frame for the increase if you have to wait for that time frame.  One question if you compare the score reasons on a credit report from before you paid off your credit cards to the one you pulled after that are the score reasons different? By different I mean in order ( a score reason listed first on the old report is now the third one on the new report)  if they are same or there any new score reason(s).

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

DH and I both have experienced the same.  We'll have two cards report and lose points, then get back to one card reporting (with the same previous utilization) and not gain all the points back.  Or we'll run a card up from 0 into the 20-25% utilization and let it report, lose points, and not gain them back when we're back down to zero on that card with the other cards maintaining the same previous utilization.  For us, it seems a bit more sophisticated than the simple add or subtract equation that we were expecting. ;(.

I think txjohn posted that he keeps his reports fluid by sometimes reporting balances on different numbers of cards or reporting different utilizations to avoid stirring up any alarms - I'm not sure how successful he was with that - but if I remember right, he maintains some pretty high FICO scores.  FWIW.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.