Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score 675, Fairly stagnant

tag
kynative
Established Member

FICO Score 675, Fairly stagnant

My credit score (MyFiCO score, Equifax: 675) has been fairly stagnant for awhile.  In the past, I had both collections and late payments. 

Collection:

The last collection that remains on my record was paid off in December 2006.  I assume this clears in December 2013?

Late Payments:

I have 5 accounts with late payments (not good, I know).  However, they are not recent.  Here are the most recent late payments on accounts:

*  Account 1: March 2011

*  Account 2: May 2010

*  Account 3: December 2007

*  Account 4: December 2007

*  Account 5: March 2006

The bad points, according to MyFICO are:

Delinquency/Collections

Bad Payment History

Recent Missed Payments

Consumer Finance Account

The good points, according to MyFICO are:

Long account history

Low credit usage

It says I have 2 Consumer Finance Accounts... I am pretty sure I found one (from 2001).  The other would have been around the same time.  I thought that stuff would be gone after 7 years or at least not affect me.  Is this not true?

My biggest question is this.... My rating goes up and down based upon credit usage and that is the only time my credit report changes.  What can I do besides continue to pay on time?  It looks to me like nothing is going to change except a VERY slow creep up.  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Score 675, Fairly stagnant

@kynative wrote:

My credit score (MyFiCO score, Equifax: 675) has been fairly stagnant for awhile.  In the past, I had both collections and late payments. 

<snip> 

My biggest question is this.... My rating goes up and down based upon credit usage and that is the only time my credit report changes.  What can I do besides continue to pay on time?  It looks to me like nothing is going to change except a VERY slow creep up.  

Pretty much anything under 2 years on a late payment is generally considered to be recent; if your lates are >30 days, the time window goes up to the point where 90+ day lates can and probably will count significantly against your scores for the full 7 years the derogatories stay on.

The collection should drop as when it reaches 7 years from the date it was filed, not 7 years from when it was paid... so it may come off earlier than the 12/13 date.  If it's the only collection reporting, you should see a bump in scores when that drops off.

Consumer finance accounts, if the tradeline is in good standing it can be up to 10 years, and sometimes those get missed.   I'm admittedly not an expert on consumer finance accounts and how they're handled in the FICO model, but it could simply be that the CRA didn't airstrike it 10 years after the closing date: sometimes it gets missed (EQ I'm looking at you).

As for all the rest, building a credit score is not a quick fix and there's no instant gratification in it.  If you can your lates goodwilled off, then you might be able to improve your score via that route, but other than that it's a long journey as time passes and you continue to pay your bills on time. 

Edit: further thought, if all you have is revolving accounts (credit card tradelines) then you may be able to jump up your score a little bit by getting an installment loan of some sort, but with your length of credit history I suspect you have those on record anyway.

        
Message 2 of 13
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

That's my experience. I PIF every month, keep my utilization in the single digits, and I'm struggling to get my nose over 700. The only baddies I have are some delinquencies circa 2007-08 and a collection or two from the same period that's since been paid off.

Nothing more I can do; at some point time will age these delinqy-dinks and my score will rise

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 13
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would try a few good will letters.  I woul send good will letters to collection account and to account #1 and Account number #2.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 13
kynative
Established Member

What, exactly, are good will letters?

The recent late payments are 30 days... and those were 1 time each with nothing close to those dates on either account.

I do have installment accounts, so another one of those probably won't help much. 

Message 5 of 13
kynative
Established Member

Ok, I did some search and figured it out... stupid question Smiley Happy

I've got a 'Goodwill letter' drafted and will send it out tomorrow.  Company is local, so hopefully will find out relatively quick (although my guess is they would remove, or not remove, the collection without telling me... so may have to wait for score increase)

Message 6 of 13
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would send one goodwill to collection agency asking for the deletion of the reporting of the collection account.  I would also ask account # 1 And Account #2 for a good will deletion of 30 day late if this is the only late on the account. Glad you found the information.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 13
gallifrey
Valued Member

We're in the same bucket. Similar payment histories, similar score problems. I've been cruising at 669 since I signed up 7 months ago.

Message 8 of 13
gallifrey
Valued Member

So I just checked my EX fako and guess what... it's 669! So all three scores are exactly the same! Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 13
kynative
Established Member

Update:  I sent the goodwill letter and it worked!!! Smiley Happy  My score is now at 695!  Much better.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.