cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score Breakdown (i.e., "Credit Mix")

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Score Breakdown (i.e., "Credit Mix")

Overall, I'm very satisfied w/ my FICO score (817 as of today).  

Based on existing literature, I know how the FICO score breaks down (i.e., 35% Payment History, 30% Amounts Owed, 15% Length of Credit History, 10% New Credit, 10% Types of Credit or "Other").

My question is pertaining the 10% of "Credit Mix".   Based on my most recent credit report, I score "Excellent" on all categories but only "Fair" on the credit mix.  

From my perspective (and I think it's somewhat reflected in my high score), I have a good credit mix.   That is, I have the following type of credit account:

- 2 mortgage accounts (mortgage and home equity) -- approximately 90% of my debt

- 2 installment accounts (car loans) -- approximately 9% of my debt

- 10 credit cards (only 1 card with a balance) -- approximately 1% of my debt

Based on the information above, is there anything obvious that "sticks out" as to why the "credit mix" is considered only "fair" (again, in contrast to all else being excellent)?

Thank you,

Tom

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
nois
Regular Contributor

Re: FICO Score Breakdown (i.e., "Credit Mix")

@Anonymous wrote:

Overall, I'm very satisfied w/ my FICO score (817 as of today).  

Based on existing literature, I know how the FICO score breaks down (i.e., 35% Payment History, 30% Amounts Owed, 15% Length of Credit History, 10% New Credit, 10% Types of Credit or "Other").

My question is pertaining the 10% of "Credit Mix".   Based on my most recent credit report, I score "Excellent" on all categories but only "Fair" on the credit mix.  

From my perspective (and I think it's somewhat reflected in my high score), I have a good credit mix.   That is, I have the following type of credit account:

- 2 mortgage accounts (mortgage and home equity) -- approximately 90% of my debt

- 2 installment accounts (car loans) -- approximately 9% of my debt

- 10 credit cards (only 1 card with a balance) -- approximately 1% of my debt

Based on the information above, is there anything obvious that "sticks out" as to why the "credit mix" is considered only "fair" (again, in contrast to all else being excellent)?

Thank you,

Tom

FICO does score each of the categories in the percentages you mentioned above.

However, from your description of the report you're referring to, it sounds like you may have a non-FICO score because reports you get from myFICO.com do not grade your "Credit Mix" on a "Excellent, Fair, etc" basis.  Those grades are used in other scoring model reports such as Vantage scores - but their score category wieghts (e.g. 10% for Types of Credit) may be different from the FICO model.

To get an accurate idea of what your FICO really is, you might consider getting your EQ or TU report from this site.

FEB 2014 EQ: 798 EX: 780 TU: 798
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

nois:

Thanks for the feedback... I appreciate it.

All information is based on Equifax's online report.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 3 of 21
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Your score and your credit report are part of the same score report? I ask because I don't remember a myFICO report commenting on the credit mix. Did you get it from the Equifax web site? If so, is the score explicitly listed as a FICO score rather than a credit score?

Your credit mix certainly looks excellent to me. As you noted, its impact is small. And if the score is EQ FICO, it's unlikely to increase no matter what, as you have joined a handful of EQ 817 people who have hit the ceiling. Congratulations!

Message 4 of 21
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Leaving aside the fako vs fico thing, there is one element missing from your mix: uncollateralized installment debt. Mortgages and auto loans are considered collateralized (or "secured", though that term freaks out people on this board) because if you default, there is a physical asset the lender can recover. Personal loans are considered uncollateralized or unsecured, because there is nothing to recover if you default. FICO does consider this a separate category. This past July, I took out a personal loan for some home renovation (not a home equity loan). Despite it being a new account, which would usually drop your score, my score went up by 15 points. Nothing else changed. I have no idea if the impact would be that big for someone already over 800, as I was in the 690s when I did it.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 21
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Leaving aside the fako vs fico thing, there is one element missing from your mix: uncollateralized installment debt. Mortgages and auto loans are considered collateralized (or "secured", though that term freaks out people on this board) because if you default, there is a physical asset the lender can recover. Personal loans are considered uncollateralized or unsecured, because there is nothing to recover if you default. FICO does consider this a separate category. This past July, I took out a personal loan for some home renovation (not a home equity loan). Despite it being a new account, which would usually drop your score, my score went up by 15 points. Nothing else changed. I have no idea if the impact would be that big for someone already over 800, as I was in the 690s when I did it.

Seriously?  This may answer my question for what to do with my unsecured personal loan when I'm looking to apply for an auto loan in the spring.  I planned to pay it off with taxes, but maybe I'll pay off all but a portion and milk it for a bit longer.  That's really interesting

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 21
GregB
Valued Contributor

Based upon the info in the original post, the score is NOT a FICO score. It is likely an Equifax score although it is possible to buy a real FICO score on the Equifax web site. Look at the report again and let us know.

FAKO advice is irrelvant to any score actually used by lenders.

Message 7 of 21
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Seriously?  This may answer my question for what to do with my unsecured personal loan when I'm looking to apply for an auto loan in the spring.  I planned to pay it off with taxes, but maybe I'll pay off all but a portion and milk it for a bit longer.  That's really interesting

I'd bet that a more satisfying feeling would be to pay off your loan Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jutz -- good point.  I had not considered that.   I'll look into this credit option.   Thanks!

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

GregB -- I think you're right.   Mine is called an Equifax Credit Score.    However, it is somewhat consistent (+/- 2 points) with TransUnions and Experian's credit scores.  

It's my understanding that lenders "look" at the 3 major credit bureaus.   While MyFICO.com is a great site, I'm not sure if lenders would consider it a superceding site (in respect to the 3 credit bureaus).    Am I right or wrong w/ this viewpoint?  (latter is a serious questions... I'm not being facetious).

In the end, whether it's called "FICO score", "Beacon score", "Equifax Score" or else -- I'd like to make sure that I watch/monitor the score that's most authoritative.    Besides, even if my Equifax score is not a true FICO score, I couldn't image there would be a huge difference as far as points is concerned.

Thoughts?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.