Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score Drop After Request for Removal

tag
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

FICO Score Drop After Request for Removal

I recently requested to have a CA removed from my Credit Report (sent in a copy of the Cert. Mail Receipt, a copy of the letter From the CA stating that they would remove the collection)  and a letter requesting to have it removed.

Well I got an e-mail from EQ stating that they have received the 'dispute' and would be investigating for 30 days etc...

well the next day I got a score watch e-mail (thinking WOW that was fast an increase!!) but it was an 18 point decrease instead, my question is:

if the FICO drop was due to the 'inquiry' which they call a dispute, when the 30 days are up will the FICO score be increased again? I don't understand why the score dropped because of a request to have a CA removed??? (with the letter from the CA and copy of the certified receipt) I thought it would be pretty simple, just look at the documents and take it off!

What am I missing? Is my FICO score going to rebound after the 30 days??? (I was pretty excited about repairing my credit) but I think if this is what happens I'll probably just be better off leaving things alone and just letting then fall off!!

Thanks for any help with this topic.

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Score Drop After Request for Removal

On your EQ report, check the DOLA (Date of last activity). I bet the CA updated the collection. An 18 point drop for an updated DOLA is not uncommon. Is it fair, well, no its not. Its one of many things I hate about EQ.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm wondering -- If you dispute an item is it temporarily removed from scoring until the dispute is completed?

Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm wondering -- If you dispute an item is it temporarily removed from scoring until the dispute is completed?

CAs no, trade lines to some degree. Since the OP disputed a CA, I suspect the CA updated a new DOLA on EQ. That hurts scores. If the OP disputed a TL (even a CO), all aspects of the TL except its credit history length and AAoA would be removed from FICO scoring calculations.

Message 4 of 7
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@fused wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CAs no, trade lines to some degree. Since the OP disputed a CA, I suspect the CA updated a new DOLA on EQ. That hurts scores. If the OP disputed a TL (even a CO), all aspects of the TL except its credit history length and AAoA would be removed from FICO scoring calculations.

Hey fused,

I was thinking the same thing, maybe they updated the DOLA? Man that STINKS!! if I called the CO and started something then i could see it, but a LETTER? and that's activity??? boy they are a trip!  If they delete it then I should see a score increase on my score watch right? (haven't gotten one yet) and I haven't opted in on the EQ on line dispute (i like mine mailed). 

Beam,

I'm shaking my head over here on this one, sure would be nice to get another e-mail showing a score increase because it's gone! Or even just a letter stating that 'it's gone' will work for me! :-)

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I experienced a 20 point drop in my TU score after having one old/duplicate CA removed.  I was wondering how my score could decrease after having one less CA.

Message 6 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I experienced a 20 point drop in my TU score after having one old/duplicate CA removed.  I was wondering how my score could decrease after having one less CA.

Are you sure nothing else changed on your TU report? Was there also a charge-off relating to the CA that fell off of your reports? Differences in some off your account balances? Or, was the CA your last baddie?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.