Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score Dropped?

tag
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

FICO Score Dropped?

So i refinanced my auto loan for $44k with another bank and the new loan hasnt reported yet but the old one reported paid and closed. Why did my score go down for paying off a 44k loan??

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Score Dropped?

This is normal behaviour. When an installment loan reports paid the Fico elves see this as a negative. It's stupid, but it's just the way it is.

Message 2 of 7
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is normal behaviour. When an installment loan reports paid the Fico elves see this as a negative. It's stupid, but it's just the way it is.

Yea that is ridiculous. But im guessing creditors look at it as a positive thing right?

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea that is ridiculous. But im guessing creditors look at it as a positive thing right?

Only in the case of a manual review. An automated decision doesn't evaluate in that depth.

Message 4 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

So i refinanced my auto loan for $44k with another bank and the new loan hasnt reported yet but the old one reported paid and closed. Why did my score go down for paying off a 44k loan??

If this was your only installment loan then the point drop was for the lack of the credit mix. Don't worry it looks you will soon have an installment loan on your report again.

Message 5 of 7
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

i have 1 more. but it was my largest loan on there!

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 6 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

i have 1 more. but it was my largest loan on there!

oh.. then the loss would have been even worse if that would have been the only one I guess and then it is not for lack of the credit mix Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.