Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score Simulator - inconsistent results

tag
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

FICO Score Simulator - inconsistent results

I was just playing with the FICO Score Simulator. My Equifax score is currently 734. I simulated my "best action" and was shown a range between 754-794 for paying down my revolving credit balance by 90-100% over the next 24 months. Then I plugged in a payment for the full amount of my revolving credit balance and was shown a range of 734-754. Weird. Is this thing just really not worth much or am I missing something?

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Score Simulator - inconsistent results

Too many variables to make a more accurate prediction.  For instance one of your creditors could decide to chase your balance and thus make it appear your util or available credit is still low.  Also there is the fact that the higher your score is the harder it becomes to get more points.  I have read about people hitting 800 in a few years and then spending a few more years to gain a mere 10 more pts.  It is like losing weight, the closer you get to your goal, the harder it gets.

Message 2 of 17
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Too many variables to make a more accurate prediction.  For instance one of your creditors could decide to chase your balance and thus make it appear your util or available credit is still low.  Also there is the fact that the higher your score is the harder it becomes to get more points.  I have read about people hitting 800 in a few years and then spending a few more years to gain a mere 10 more pts.  It is like losing weight, the closer you get to your goal, the harder it gets.

Too many variables is a good point. It just seems odd to me that manually inputting the "best action" results in a drastically different output, you know? I was actually surprised that the "best action" had to do with my utilization in the first place, as my utilization is already pretty low. By the way, I'm not sure what "chase your balance" means?

Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)

Message 3 of 17
Scamp
Valued Contributor

@lolabelle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Too many variables is a good point. It just seems odd to me that manually inputting the "best action" results in a drastically different output, you know? I was actually surprised that the "best action" had to do with my utilization in the first place, as my utilization is already pretty low. By the way, I'm not sure what "chase your balance" means?

Chasing the balance is what it's called when creditors keep lowering your credit limit to just above your current balance, every time you make a payment.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 4 of 17
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@Scamp wrote:

@lolabelle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chasing the balance is what it's called when creditors keep lowering your credit limit to just above your current balance, every time you make a payment.

Wow. I had no idea that happened. That's craptacular behavior.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best thing and thing that within your control is your util and pay on time.  Util and payments combined equal 65% of your score!

Message 6 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

IMHO the score simulator is derog aware so if you had a derog that was set to fall off in 2 years, that might explain the difference.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 17
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

No, I have nothing bad on there. 8% utilization at the time of the score pull, and slightly under 6 years AAoA.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that is the reason why... Your util is already so low that eliminating it will not give you much of a boost.  If you simulate making payments on time for 2 years I bet you get the same result.

Message 9 of 17
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well that is the reason why... Your util is already so low that eliminating it will not give you much of a boost.  If you simulate making payments on time for 2 years I bet you get the same result.

That's what was confusing about it, though - when I simulated paying it down to 0-1% utilization, I had the lower range. When I simulate paying the same amount over 2 years, I get the higher range. I always pay everything on time anyway, though, so it's puzzling how paying down my utilization over time would be a factor that raises my score significantly when paying my utilization down the same amount in a lump sum doesn't. The only thing that makes a little sense is that, assuming no new credit, my AAoA will be better in 2 years. But it didn't seem to be making that point. Anyway, not a big deal - but curious. I just paid off 50% of my utilization and am going to start score tracking after those cards report, so it'll be interesting to see what actually happens!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.