Established Contributor
sjt

FICO Score calculations and Algorithms

Hi All,

I am wondering if the way FICO calculates scores based on the average nationwide FICO scores and if there other factors in calculating scores that go beyond the individual profile.

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
user5387

Re: FICO Score calculations and Algorithms

The FICO scoring model is derived from longitudinal studies of large numbers of actual anonymized reports, if I recall correctly.

Established Contributor
sjt

user5387 wrote:

The FICO scoring model is derived from longitudinal studies of large numbers of actual anonymized reports, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the reply!

So depending on the outcome of these various studies, calculations can change right?

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
user5387

The scoring model is based on real behavior, rather than simply being pulled out of thin air.

The idea is to quantify certain behaviors (like high utilization) in terms of how well they predict future delinquency.  Try doing a Google search using the words "fico delinquency rates".

Here's an article that discusses some of these points:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/scoring/FICOchanges.shtml

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}