Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score re: Age (young age)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Score re: Age (young age)

Im a graduating college senior and because of short credit tenure, have a lower score. Is there an average score for different age groups to get an idea of where I stand with my peers? I am curious to learn if students tend to keep credit limits for long periods of time, or even have credit cards to begin with.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Score re: Age (young age)

Assuming you have a couple of tradelines, you should be in the mid 600s.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Im a graduating college senior and because of short credit tenure, have a lower score. Is there an average score for different age groups to get an idea of where I stand with my peers? I am curious to learn if students tend to keep credit limits for long periods of time, or even have credit cards to begin with.

Students do have credit cards. Too many (myself included when I was young and less wise) end up overcharging and crashing.

Just keep your utilization low, and every nine months of so bug the CC companies for CLIs. Never miss a payment. Your score will go up.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry to much. After 24 months of credit use scores can be mid 700's easy. If your credit history is less than 2 years, it is not established. But for now between 670 and 700. Yes age is a BIG GIANT FACTOR. Not the age of the person but the age from when they first got a credit card or loan. You can not compare your self to anyone else really if less than 24 months. Things happen at strange times and mostly drastic changes sorta like how little kids grow in spurts. Rather you can compare who has more credit cards. More at an early age will give you an advantage later. And you score will be lower to boot with more cards too. But after 24 months your score will be much higher for a life time. If I only knew this when I was young.

More credit cards as in up to 4-6 cards being better than 1-3.. ect. Not excessive.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-18-2007 02:13 AM

Message 4 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.