cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Scoring Buckets (or "Scorecards")

tag
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO Scoring Buckets (or "Scorecards")

It is possible for someone with derogs to have a higher score than someone with a clean report who has extra high utilization, since Utilization is not used to determine buckets. Each bucket has a range of scores, and there is significant overlap. The main differences in the scores for each bucket are utilization and mix. Buckets are determined by derogatories (there are two different derogatory buckets, depending on whether you have a PR) and by age.
Message 21 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course there is a difference between clean report and financial risk.  Certainly someone with a 'clean' report can have a lower score than a person with a 'dirty' report simply because they pose a greater future financial risk based on the rating variables of the model (probably would be a case like you're stating although the derogs would have to be of the old variety).  I don't think that the score is calculated after you're placed in a bucket ...I think the buckets were created to help illustrate to consumers how future behaviors would  impact a given score...e.g. the FICO score simulator. 
Message 22 of 51
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Your score can go down when a negative is removed.
Message 23 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

that would most likely be a result of the rating variables changing.  e.g. if the average age of your accounts is 6 years before and 5 years after the negative is removed rather than your score being calculated differently because you now have a clean report.
Message 24 of 51
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sorry, scores change when your bucket changes. I know this personally. I lost 15 points when I added on to my DH's long-history Discover card and jumped from 12 years longest to 19 years longest. The SW alert indicated that it was re-bucketing, and nothing else had changed.

Each score bucket has its own bell-shaped distribution of scores, so there isn't just one, there are 10, or however many we have at the moment.

This is known, not theoretical.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't been able to find anything from the Fair Isaac Corp. that comments on bucket scoring...can you point me to some kind of document from Fair Isaac that discusses the bucket scoring system?
Message 26 of 51
fused
Moderator Emeritus

It's highly unlikely you'll find anything giving you the specifics of buckets and scoring. Much of the real and factual information is top secret.
Message 27 of 51
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Google Joint Center for Housing Studies February 2004. You'll find something there actually a 48 page study about segmentation. Currently we have 8 scorecards FICO 08 will have 12 scorecards. They most certainly do exist but FICO isn't giving away the entire formula.
Message 28 of 51
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you have Scorewatch, here's what you'll see when you get re-bucketed (assuming that the alert doesn't get bumped by something else):
Your FICO® score went down on a day when there were no credit alerts on your Equifax Credit Report™. This can happen if:

* You moved from one category of credit users to another as time passed. For example, you may have transitioned from the category "consumers with a new credit history" to the category "consumers with a two- to five-year credit history". As a result, your credit report is evaluated differently, causing a slight change in your score. The good news is that moving between categories like this usually offers you the potential to reach a higher FICO® score in the future.
(emphasis mine)

As others mentioned, this is one of the closely-held secrets of the proprietary formula, but it's real.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 29 of 51
smallfry
Senior Contributor

They make it really hard to stay at 850. Our accountant is 83. His oldest CC is an Amex from 1958. He currently has 3 cards no installments no inquiries. His wife used to collect store cards. He said they had over 50 at one time. All are closed as are most of his credit cards. Average age is well over 25 years. His scores are 830-830-835. He is getting dinged for no new accounts.
Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.