Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Scoring = Completely Arbitrary

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Scoring = Completely Arbitrary

My wife and I have joint accounts for EVERYTHING.  Thus, for the last 10+ years, our financial information should be showing as absolutely identical.  We both subscribe to ScoreWatch and have alerts setup for all the available alert criteria.  However, when OUR credit card balance changes, many times she gets an alert and her score is adjusted but mine is not.

I used to work for FICO in the fraud area (i.e. Falcon).  We used to put a lot of effort into analyzing the performance of the scoring engine.  However, it seems that the FICO scoring engine is completely arbitrary.  For Falcon, there were very specific rules; e.g. if a tran is > 50 miles from the billing zip, if there is a $1 charge at a gas station and then a large purchase or several at an electronics or jewelry store, etc.

The folks on the FICO scoring side seem very reluctant to share the rules that they use in determining your score.  Sure, there is very general advice about maintaining financial health and strength.  But never anything prescriptive or specific.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Scoring = Completely Arbitrary

So curious then, have you compared your scores side by side and see if they report the exact same stuff?? Maybe you have something extra that she doesn't? Doesn't seem to make sense though IMO. I paid off 2300 in CC debt and my score only went up 5 pts? Why?

Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: FICO Scoring = Completely Arbitrary

OP, what's your SW target score set to? You need to have it set to your current score, so that it will alert you when it goes either up or down.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.