Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Scoring Frequency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Scoring Frequency

How often is a new FICO score generated?  I had an invalid collection account on my credit report that has been removed but my lender is telling me that the FICO score is unchanged.  Is there a way to force a new FICO score to be calculated?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Scoring Frequency

FICO will only calculate a score based on what's on your report. So, if your lender pulled a FICO score after confirming that the collection wasn't on the report, he should have seen a score change.

There are a couple factors that can influence whether a score changes though. If you have multiple paid or unpaid CAs on the report, then you likely wouldn't have seen a change. You also may not see a change if you have other baddies, including other CAs, COs, lates, etc, that are recent or updated recently.

I'd pull a new report here based on the CRA he's referring to to see if it is indeed off or if there is a score change.

Message 2 of 8
cobra19
Valued Contributor

A new score is generated whenever you order it and then pay for it. Your report and score will change whenever a creditor reports a change to the cra, or when a new inquiry hits or is deleted, etc.

It is possible that the deletion of a collection account will have no effect on your score -then again, if that was your only baddie, I'd suspect you'd realize a nice bump.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score went from 671 to 741 (I pulled this today on myFico).  For some reason, they're not seeing the new score though.  I don't know if they're actually requesting a new credit report or if they keep pulling the old report.  The weird thing is that they say the collection account is no longer on the new report but the score is still the same.  They told me that I would have to have a letter from the collection agency in order for them to request that a new score be calculated.

Is this right??

Message 4 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

kraymer wrote:

My score went from 671 to 741 (I pulled this today on myFico).  For some reason, they're not seeing the new score though.  I don't know if they're actually requesting a new credit report or if they keep pulling the old report.  The weird thing is that they say the collection account is no longer on the new report but the score is still the same.  They told me that I would have to have a letter from the collection agency in order for them to request that a new score be calculated.

Is this right??

What kind of lender is this? Make sure they are pulling a FICO score.

Requesting a letter from a CA confirming removal won't help any. It is already off. The score has already changed (as evidenced by your increase).

I'd check what score they are pulling and ask them to pull a new score for that CRA.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage lender.  I have asked that they pull a new score but they keep telling me the score is the same and they need a letter for it to be re-scored....
Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you're willing to cough up to pull another report, or if you have access to a credit monitoring service, check your report again and see if there is an additional hard inquiry. If not, then they're not pulling your scores again, unless possibly they're softing you.

Have you tried printing out your score report with the more recent pull date and showing them? It's not authoritative, of course, and they'd have to work off their own re-pull, but it might be enough to convince them to pull again. If nothing else, ask them to compare the accounts listings, balances, etc. between the two.

And of course, make sure that you are both comparing apples to apples --that you're both looking at EQ, or at TU, or at EX.

That's amazingly stubborn of them. I'm not used to lenders refusing to pull reports! Smiley Very Happy Good luck.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe you just switch lenders to go with a new guy who doesn't know about the old score?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.