Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Simulator and paying down student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Simulator and paying down student loans

I have a similar situation. The FICO Simulator tells me that if I pay off my student loans I would get a 25 point boost with EQ and 30 points on EX and TU. My issue is, those two trade lines are my only installment accounts and they are also my oldest. Would that not actually hurt my score and lower my AAofA? I am working on getting my scores up for a mortgage, however if I pay my student loans off, it would nearly wipe out my savings. And I’m not even sure how accurate the simulator is.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Sassy.  If you pay off your student loans, that will not affect your AAoA.  FICO considers both closed and open accounts in computing one's AAoA, therefore an account going from open to closed has no effect -- whether we are talking about immediate effect, or even an effect 7-8 years down the road.  Eventually the closed accounts will fall off your reports in ten years, but that is way way down the road.

That said, paying off all your open installment accounts will indeed harm your FICO 8 score, though by how much we can't guess unless you tell us the original amount of the loan and the current amount owed (for each loan).

As you can see, simulators often given flat out false information that can lead people to attempt expensive strategies that harm their score.  Glad you are asking us first.

PS.  Mortgage scores are hurt less by installment loan payoffs, but they are certainly not helped.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thank you for responding. I am glad I asked first also. One of my student loans was $3,224.22 and the other was $4,381.92. The current balances are $2,567.40 and $3,330.82. I was only able to start paying on them May of 2016 and I have a few lates due to not realizing my forbearance was over. No lates since I’ve been making payments. My payment combined for both is $74.57. I’m not due to be paid off until April of 2026.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sassy.  When is your best guess as to when you would buy a house?

Are those student loan lates the only derogs that you have on your report?  No other lates, collections, chargeoffs, liens, etc?

The best thing you could be do to prepare for your home purchase is getting those late payment marks on your report removed.  That is not a slam dunk, but you have a shot at being able to convince your lender to do that.  Keep making perfect payments and keep the loans open so that you have some leverage.  People like Brutal Body Shots and many others know a lot about how to do that.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, sorry for the late response. My student loans are the only lates I can see, however I was told by a lender awhile back that I had a charge off but never responded when I asked from who. I do not see it on any of my credit reports. I’m hoping to buy a condo within the next few months. My issue is finding something in my price range which has shown to be a huge challenge due to the prices of homes in south Florida. I will definitely try to find out about any other items but I can’t think of anything within the last 7 years except for the student loans. I am hoping to see my score move up soon. Lately I only gain and lose a few points back and forth. It seems that when I pay my credit cards off, I lose points and when I leave a small balance, I gain. It is definitely confusing but I will definitely keep making early and in time payments. I’ve worked too hard the last couple of years to ever go backwards. I appreciate your feedback and I am glad I didn’t jump to pay off my student loans as the simulator suggested.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.