Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Updating?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Updating?

Am considering getting a car loan in the coming months.  I have an excellent credit record except in respect of overall revolving credit balances.  Meanwhile, I'm also paying those balances down very aggressively.  How quickly does a dramatically reduced revolving credit balance affect a FICO score (is FICO recalculated daily, monthly, quarterly, etc.)? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Updating?

@Anonymous wrote:

Am considering getting a car loan in the coming months.  I have an excellent credit record except in respect of overall revolving credit balances.  Meanwhile, I'm also paying those balances down very aggressively.  How quickly does a dramatically reduced revolving credit balance affect a FICO score (is FICO recalculated daily, monthly, quarterly, etc.)? 

Reducing utilization is one of the fastest ways to increase a score. FICO scores both overall utilization and individual card utilization.

I like to look at a FICO score as a "potential" score in that it doesn't exist until it is pulled. It has no memory and is a snapshot of credit health at the moment it is looked at. Your score is calculated as often as you or a lender pulls it but not until then.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 5
chasmith
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Reducing utilization is one of the fastest ways to increase a score. FICO scores both overall utilization and individual card utilization.

I like to look at a FICO score as a "potential" score in that it doesn't exist until it is pulled. It has no memory and is a snapshot of credit health at the moment it is looked at. Your score is calculated as often as you or a lender pulls it but not until then.

Since FICO scores compute when pulled, essentially they update each time the CRA is updated.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

agreed.  your creditors have to report your new info before FICO will take it into account.  i wish it could just "ping" your creditors & find out your exact balance in real time, & calculate your score on that, but no such luck yet Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@chasmith wrote:

Since FICO scores compute when pulled, essentially they update each time the CRA is updated.

But like the philosophical question that asks if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there does it still make a noise does a score really exist if no one ever pulls one?  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.