Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO and CC Util

tag
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

FICO and CC Util

How does exceeding 9 % Util on 1 CC affect your Fico score. Also how does exceeding 9 % on your total vail CC avail affect your Fico score. How long does it take to recover from both hits if paid down under 9% for both scenarios 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO and CC Util

Well, I can add a data point or two for your first question- but remember YMMV.

When I went from 9% to 14% utilization on one card only, I lost 5 FICO points on EQ.

I gained the 5 points back when the utilization went down the next month.

From 4% to 11% utilization on one card only, I lost 5 FICO points. 

From 21% to 26% utilization on one card only, there was no FICO impact.

From 5% to 27% utilization on one card only, lost 18 FICO points.

From 10% to 7% utilization on one card with two other cards reporting balance, gained 6 FICO points.

20% balance on one card only to 0%, gained 23 points

Just remember there's lots of factors that are intertwined, including but certainly not limited to how many accounts report a balance.

There are so many potential changes on a credit report during any given time that it can be difficult to isolate impact of utilization.

Message 2 of 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO and CC Util

Just as beamMEup said YMMV concerning utilization as well as most aspects of credit. All our credit profiles are always different and constantly changing so there is great difficulty in giving a set answer.

It seems thought that for most people keeping the utilization under 9% gives the biggest boost but playing around with the percentages for a few months might be a fun exercise to see exactly what percentage works best for you.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.