cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO and Credit Scores - What is the difference?

tag
Gabbysouth
Established Member

FICO and Credit Scores - What is the difference?

I did a quick search in this forum to see if there an explanation but did not find one.  What is the difference between FICO and just a straight number from Transunion or Experian?

Also, when is the best time to ask for the scores?  I'm thinking the first week of the month because they report at the end of the month?  (I'm just guessing)

I recently did some things that hopefully will increase my score and want to see if they did.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: FICO and Credit Scores - What is the difference?

Well, it gets explained a lot here, but I know that I don't have much luck with the search function. Smiley Tongue

FICO scores are a type of credit scores. Credit scores attempt to predict the risk that a consumer will default on a credit account. FICO scores are created by formulas from FICO, which are proprietary. We know some of the details, but certainly not all.

Non-FICO credit scores, aka FAKO scores, are created by other suppliers from different logarithms. We know pretty much nothing about what goes into them, and it doesn't particularly matter, since they're not used by lenders. But they do make a nice buck or two for their suppliers. These would include the ones you're talking about.

You can't buy your Experian FICO any more, per their decision last February. They'll be delighted to sell you their FAKO's instead, which are quite unenlightening.

Your scores don't actually exist until someone pulls them. They're in "potential" form, I suppose you could say. Your reports update continually, changing whenever a creditor updates new info. Most (not all) creditors update on your statement dates, not necessarily the end of the month. So when you have a new statement, showing your new balance, that figure gets sent in. Then you have to wait while the credit bureaus post the new info, which can easily take a week, often more.

Lenders who report the balance as of the end of the month: HSBC and Orchard bank cards (not their store cards, like the Best Buy store card), and US Bank cards. The info goes in the next week for US Bank, and kinda whenever for HSBC/ Orchard, generally in a couple of weeks.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Gabbysouth
Established Member

thank you, this is very helpful.  I knew it was one of the E's that didnt do FICO but I do get Experian and Equifax confused cause they are both E's!

And seriously your scores are AMAZING!!! thanks again.

Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Here I am following HTSU around the boards.  Smiley Happy

Many, many places will sell you "credit scores" but if the word "FICO" doesn't appear anywhere in the fine print then I suggest you run away as fast as possible because these "scores" are not generally used by any lender to make credit approval decisions.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 6
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Well, it gets explained a lot here, but I know that I don't have much luck with the search function. Smiley Tongue

FICO scores are a type of credit scores. Credit scores attempt to predict the risk that a consumer will default on a credit account. FICO scores are created by formulas from FICO, which are proprietary. We know some of the details, but certainly not all.

Non-FICO credit scores, aka FAKO scores, are created by other suppliers from different logarithms. We know pretty much nothing about what goes into them, and it doesn't particularly matter, since they're not used by lenders. But they do make a nice buck or two for their suppliers. These would include the ones you're talking about.

You can't buy your Experian FICO any more, per their decision last February. They'll be delighted to sell you their FAKO's instead, which are quite unenlightening.

Your scores don't actually exist until someone pulls them. They're in "potential" form, I suppose you could say. Your reports update continually, changing whenever a creditor updates new info. Most (not all) creditors update on your statement dates, not necessarily the end of the month. So when you have a new statement, showing your new balance, that figure gets sent in. Then you have to wait while the credit bureaus post the new info, which can easily take a week, often more.

Lenders who report the balance as of the end of the month: HSBC and Orchard bank cards (not their store cards, like the Best Buy store card), and US Bank cards. The info goes in the next week for US Bank, and kinda whenever for HSBC/ Orchard, generally in a couple of weeks.

Not threadacking but just wanted to point out that is sooo "Shrodinger's cat" Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
Gabbysouth
Established Member

thanks,  and that's pretty impressive scores in the 800's!.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.