cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO dropped 41 points! I don't understand!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO dropped 41 points! I don't understand!

I had finally reached the 700 club by paying down revolving debt.  For 2 months remained in the 700 club and then, this month, according to WAMU/TU, score dropped 41 points!!  No late/missed payments; no new debt; no increased debt on revolving accounts rather revolving debt continued to be paid down.   Why the harsh discrepancy between last 2 months and now?  Help me to understand!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO dropped 41 points! I don't understand!

I'd look for any changes in your report like dropped accounts, added accounts, date changes, obscure lates, etc. I also wouldn't rely on PFICO.
Message 2 of 8
Madison
Regular Contributor

Check your credit report to make sure nothing has changed. The only thing I can think of is you were put in a new bucket. But 41 points decrease seems too much for a transfer to new bucket.
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I had finally reached the 700 club by paying down revolving debt.  For 2 months remained in the 700 club and then, this month, according to WAMU/TUscore dropped 41 points!!  No late/missed payments; no new debt; no increased debt on revolving accounts rather revolving debt continued to be paid down.   Why the harsh discrepancy between last 2 months and now?  Help me to understand!

I agree with llecs --you're looking at your credit-card enhanced score ("PFICO"), not your regular TU score.

Where did you get your 700+ score? (myFICO, directly from TransUnion, a previous WaMu statement, etc)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores were taken from "credit profile" section of WAMU which credit score, they state, is provided by TU.
Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

So both sets of scores were the PFICO's.

These are weighted more heavily toward predicting credit card behavior than are the classic (mortgage) FICO's that you buy here on this site, and they seem to be a lot more twitchy, as in swinging up and down more wildly than the regular ones.

Did you have some additional cards reporting balances, or some new inqs, or higher balances reporting? (even if you paid off the balances as soon as you got the statement)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think WAMU's scores are also a month or so behind...
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am pulling my report and will post answers to your questions as soon as it is received.  Thank you all for your help and insight.  BTW, how will I know if I was placed in a new "bucket" given I had no idea about "buckets" in the first place?  Thanks!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.