cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO dropped 47 points after AMEX reported!

tag
b0ricua
Established Member

FICO dropped 47 points after AMEX reported!

Hello, i've always been reading the forums on here but never posted.
But i got approved in march for an amex charge card. I used to have a 727 score on transunion. And today i checked my score and dropped 47 points after my amex reported. Its counting toward utlization.
For example, i have two credit cards, one with a $700 limit and another with a $1,300. A combined $2000 limit. Currently i have a $506 balance. A 25% utilization. But my credit says im using 44% of my credit. Because my ame reported a $663 balance. So it says my tot credit limit is $2,663 not $2000 and my balance is $1,169 in credit cards with a $2663 limt. So 44% utl. But i thought amex wasnt supposed to count towards utilization, so whydoes it say im using 44% of my credit instead of 25%..

Is that why my credit score dropped 47 points?also my AAoA is 1yr 1 month..dest acct opened 3 yrs ago and i have 2 inquiries on my acct and no late payments.

My last accout before amex was opened in dec 2012..and in march i got my amex..before amex my credit scores were 693 equifax, 727 tu, 715 exp..and after having amex for 2 months its 673 equifax, 680 TU, 677 exp.

Maybe its the AAoA that dropped all my scores..or could it be the fact that with amex its reporting a 44% UTL instead of my actual 25%???

NPSL          $11,500          $3,200           $1,500          $2,600
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
b0ricua
Established Member

Re: FICO dropped 47 points after AMEX reported!

Sorry for the typos..on iphone..but my oldest account was opene 3 years ago, newest account is my amex from march, and before that my macys card opened dec 2012..maybe i shouldnt have applied for the anex after a short period of opening macys...

Message 2 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, are you pulling your scores from myFICO?

What was your before-AAoA? It's normal to see a drop when adding a TL, but 47 is steep. If you are pulling from myFICO, the change could be due to the new account ding, drop in AAoA, must/all of your accounts reporting a balance, and/or changes in util (on the TU FICO on here).

Per util, the EQ version on here and used by most lenders ignores the balance and high balance of your new Amex. TU FICO versions used by most lenders also ignore it. However, the TU FICO on here does factor your balance and high balance into util. So, your first reporting will show it as maxed out.

Message 3 of 11
b0ricua
Established Member

I got my score from equifax.com which let me see all 3 scores. But a while back in March I checked my Transunion score here on MyFICO..which was a t 727..my AAoA before amex was 1yr in march..now its at 1yr 1 month..i got mu amex card at the end of march. After i checked my score on myfico. Now equiifax says my transunion score is 680.

Message 4 of 11
b0ricua
Established Member

What i dont understand on equifax is why does it say im using 44% of my credit instead of the actual 25% im using on my credit cards.. Is the transunion scoring on equifax different from myfico's transunion scoring?

Message 5 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@b0ricua wrote:
I got my score from equifax.com which let me see all 3 scores. But a while back in March I checked my Transunion score here on MyFICO..which was a t 727..my AAoA before amex was 1yr in march..now its at 1yr 1 month..i got mu amex card at the end of march. After i checked my score on myfico. Now equiifax says my transunion score is 680.

Ignore the scores from Equifax.com. they are not FICO scores. Their 3-in-1 product sells a FAKO called an "Equifax Credit Score". That can explain the score difference.

Message 6 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@b0ricua wrote:
What i dont understand on equifax is why does it say im using 44% of my credit instead of the actual 25% im using on my credit cards.. ...

Equifax.com displays util differently that what myFICO would show.

Message 7 of 11
b0ricua
Established Member

Oh..i thought they were all FICOs.. Thats a relief..from now on i'll make sure to only get my score from myfico Smiley Happy my TU from myfico is set to refresh on June 9.. So i'll see how its like..thanks a lot

Message 8 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@b0ricua wrote:
Oh..i thought they were all FICOs.. Thats a relief..from now on i'll make sure to only get my score from myfico Smiley Happy my TU from myfico is set to refresh on June 9.. So i'll see how its like..thanks a lot

You're limited on the places to get your FICO score.

You can only buy your EQ FICO from myFICO, your lender, or from Equifax.com (buyer beware: the scores they push are a FAKO, but your EQ FICO can be purchased through EQ).

You can only buy your TU FICO from myFICO or your lender.

Finally, you can only buy your EX FICO from your lender. As of a few years ago, Experian blocked consumer access to your own EX FICO.

Aside from the above, you can also get your FICO scores for free or at a reduced price. Banks and CUs will offer it as a benefit. M&T Bank, Unitus Community Credit Union, and Digital Credit Union each offer an EQ FICO. You can get your TU FICO from Wal-Mart or Merrick Bank if you have CCs with them. And you can get your EX FICO from PA State Employees Credit Union (PSECU) if you have a checking account with them. There are other CUs out there that will offer a FICO if you ask them as part of a benefit for being a member.

Coming soon, your EX FICO will be available on here once again.

Message 9 of 11
jameser
New Visitor

guys:

not sure what the difference is, but my amex is impacting my utilization on my equifax score here at myfico........

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.