JEZeimer

FICO dropped after I paid off a debt

I'm so frustrated.   I've been working on my debt for about 7 months.   I started with a TU score of 515 and it's now at 678.   But one week ago it was at 685.   My "next step" listed on this site was to lower my debt as I had a car loan that was over 20,000 and "most high achievers have debt under $5000".   So I took some of my down payment savings and paid off my car.    So I have no debt now...and it lowered my FICO.   I was trying to get it higher to get a better home mortgage loan.     I would never have done that if the "next step" hadn't told me to do so on the site.    Why would paying off my car lower my FICO - nothing else has changed?    I have two credit cards with 0 balance and outstanding credit limit of $5000.    I have nothing in collection.    The only "bad" on my report are some old medical bills that went into collection in 2008 - but have been paid and one revolving credit loan my husband took out jointly that he didn't pay on for over 120 days -  but I paid it off and it is closed.  

Valued Contributor
p-

Re: FICO dropped after I paid off a debt

JEZeimer wrote:

I'm so frustrated.   I've been working on my debt for about 7 months.   I started with a TU score of 515 and it's now at 678.   But one week ago it was at 685.   My "next step" listed on this site was to lower my debt as I had a car loan that was over 20,000 and "most high achievers have debt under $5000".   So I took some of my down payment savings and paid off my car.    So I have no debt now...and it lowered my FICO.   I was trying to get it higher to get a better home mortgage loan.     I would never have done that if the "next step" hadn't told me to do so on the site.    Why would paying off my car lower my FICO - nothing else has changed?    I have two credit cards with 0 balance and outstanding credit limit of $5000.    I have nothing in collection.    The only "bad" on my report are some old medical bills that went into collection in 2008 - but have been paid and one revolving credit loan my husband took out jointly that he didn't pay on for over 120 days -  but I paid it off and it is closed.  

I have a guess - You no longer have any active accounts; everything is paid.  I bet if you let your card post a 5% balance at statement time you'll see a bump. 

2-13-14: FICO EXP: 779 - EQU: 742 - TRAN: 765 - AVG: 762 - +212 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Valued Contributor
p-

Also, search here for the term "rebucketing".  Lots of discussion about it.

2-13-14: FICO EXP: 779 - EQU: 742 - TRAN: 765 - AVG: 762 - +212 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

JEZeimer

I use the credit cards each month and pay in full at the end of the month.  So the cards are active but I don't carry a balance.  is it better to carry a balance?

JEZeimer

Ok that's much more complicated than I was ready for....and they wonder why everyone is so messed up while trying to fix their scores.   I just want to get approved to buy a house!   I've got nothing left to do at this point but wait for my credit usage history to bump the score up.  Everything that can been disputed and paid off has been.   I hate the waiting game now.   Thanks for the information!

Valued Contributor
p-

JEZeimer wrote:

I use the credit cards each month and pay in full at the end of the month.  So the cards are active but I don't carry a balance.  is it better to carry a balance?

You only pay interest on what you don't pay in full after statement time, but your credit report is not a real-time balance.  It's a snapshot from statement time.  So if you had 2500 on a 5k card at statement time and pay it off right away, your credit report shows 50% usage and your score will tank.  But if you paid 2350 before the statement cut, and then the other 150 after, your credit report would show 3% utilization.   And you would still owe no interest.  

Below is a link to a graph showing how utilization affects a score.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CAP-ONE-EXEC-OFFICE/m-p/1816493/highlight/true#M506408

Note that for some profiles, the difference between 0 and 5% utilization is up to 30 points.

Lots of other things affect your score.  It could be that losing an active trade line did drop you the 7 points.  If you compare both reports and the utilization is the same on all CC accounts, maybe it did.  If I were you I'd try posting different balances and see what happens.  Better to know now before you have a Mortgage app.

JEZeimer

Thanks for all the help!   I just put $100 on one of my cc and we'll see what happens.  

Established Contributor
bettercreditguy1

When, how old is the 120 day late?

Starting scores 01/ 02/2012 EQ 707 TU 733 EXP 735 (FAKO)
Updated scores 04/13/2014 EQ 792 TU 763 EXP 768 (Fico)

Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+