Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO impact - closed by consumer vs. creditor

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

FICO impact - closed by consumer vs. creditor

Hi folks -

I've no interest in the Citi Thank You Preferred (and have no relationship with Citi other than 7 years with the Forward). 

Over the next month, with 4 pending arrivals (after 7 years of, well, not gardening, but standing pat), I'll about double my aggregate limit and all but eliminate outstanding balances, embracing AZEO.  And, per a chat session I just had with a Citi rep, the Forward will no longer be valid 90 days from receipt of the TYP (expected towards the end of January).  So ...

Scenario 1 - Call and see if I can product change to a Citi Double Cash.  [Edited - no luck on this.]

[Update: Ultimately, called to ask if any trailing interest would be assessed on my account if paid in full prior to the statement cutting.  Advised there wouldn't be.  Asked if I could product change -- rep said 'Yes' (third time lucky, I guess).]

Scenario 2 - Pay off the Forward and close it before it expires.

Scenario 3 - Pay off the Forward and do nothing before it expires.

Is there a difference in FICO impact between scenarios 2 & 3? (Or, indeed, a possible difference in future loan outcome if the file were manually reviewed, all other things being equal (which they never are).)

Insight welcome.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: How best to end my Citi Forward?

@expatCanuck wrote:

Hi folks -

I've no interest in the Citi Thank You Preferred (and have no relationship with Citi other than 7 years with the Forward). 

Over the next month, with 4 pending arrivals (after 7 years of, well, not gardening, but standing pat), I'll about double my aggregate limit and all but eliminate outstanding balances, embracing AZEO.  And, per a chat session I just had with a Citi rep, the Forward will no longer be valid 90 days from receipt of the TYP (expected towards the end of January).  So ...

Scenario 1 - Call and see if I can product change to a Citi Double Cash.

Scenario 2 - Pay off the Forward and close it before it expires.

Scenario 3 - Pay off the Forward and do nothing before it expires.

Is there a difference in FICO impact between scenarios 2 & 3?

Insight welcome.

I would try Scenario 1, the product change. That way the opening date of your Forward account will be kept open as the Citi Double Cash will show the Forward's opening date as its own.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 10
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Tried scenario 1.  No luck.

So ... as between 2 & 3, is there any difference as regards FICO score outcome?

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you clarify for us whether the Citi Forward is your oldest card?  If so, how much older is it than your next oldest open card?  (My apologies if you have discussed this on another thread.)

If it is your oldest by several years, I'd reconsider the PC issue.  Sure you may not like the TYP in and of itself, but you wouldn't be getting it because you love the rewards package, but to preserve a card that is your oldest by far.

To answer your question, I don't think anyone thinks #2 vs. #3 makes a difference to your FICO score.  There's a (small) chance that in a manual review of your reports it might look a tiny bit better for you to have initiated the account closure than the issuer.  Obviously that depends on who the individual is who looks at your report.

Message 4 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@expatCanuck wrote:

Zip, zero, swabo.

That said I think it always looks better to be closed by consumer than closed by credit grantor.  Show that you manage your credit, without lenders having to help you do so.

        
Message 5 of 10
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Zip, zero, swabo.

That said I think it always looks better to be closed by consumer than closed by credit grantor.  Show that you manage your credit, without lenders having to help you do so.

Certainly that's what my gut tells me.

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you clarify for us whether the Citi Forward is your oldest card?  If so, how much older is it than your next oldest open card?  (My apologies if you have discussed this on another thread.)

If it is your oldest by several years, I'd reconsider the PC issue.  ...

To answer your question, I don't think anyone thinks #2 vs. #3 makes a difference to your FICO score.  ...

My oldest card is 17.  I just closed a second 17-year-old card to comply with the bank's conditions to obtain a construction loan / 2nd mortgage.  The Forward and another card are each are 7.  That's it for credit cards.  My mortgage (refi) and the construction loan are new, and have yet to report ... presumably real soon now.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Sorry they wouldn't do the PC.

As between 2 & 3 there's no scoring difference, but definitely pay it down to zero right away.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to try scenario 1 again. I called yesterday to convert the newly converted typ to DC. Had an overseas rep, but she was helpful and didn't give me any hassle. Just be sure to give them the number for the new card and not the forward.

Message 8 of 10
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Had success when calling to ask about whether there'd be any trailing interest if I paid off new purchases prior to the statement date.  When I then asked whether I could convert to the DC, the rep said 'Yes'.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 9 of 10
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

No score difference with 2&3 but other creditors or future creditors might take notice. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.