Did you mean: 

FICO impact of all CCs reporting

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: FICO impact of all CCs reporting

@Anonymous wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Fico 8 classic score has remained at 850 during the 1.5 year timeframe. So, although there is no information here to tell you how many cards reporting is optimal, it does indicate reporting balances on multiple cards will not inhibit ability to build score. It also indicates no inherant penalty associated with reporting a balance on multiple cards.

I do suspect, frequency of card use (reporting non zero balances) impacts what % of open cards can report a balance in a given month before a score drop.

For those with a dirty report, the results may not be the same.

I posted in another utilization thread about this topic previously, but the short of it is...

I have tax liens reporting and no other derogatories or lates ever.

I only have 3 cards.

I take a hit when 2 of 3 cards report (6-8 points), I take a bigger hit when 3 of 3 cards report. 

I get the points back when I go back to two then one reporting.

The most sensitive score to this seems to be EQ 08, the least sensitive seems to be TU 08.

What does this mean?

It means I can put lipstick on the pig if I want to apply for credit and get 6-16 points higher when my report is optimized.

I can get 720s-730s FICO 08s with all cards reporting a balance and utilization under 9%

I can get 740 across the board FICO 08s with a single card reporting

How long have you maintained all three cards reporting small balances, for any string of months?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

How long have you maintained all three cards reporting small balances, for any string of months?

7 years,

Message 12 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

7 years,

7 years including all the last 12 months, or at what point were you testing 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 reporting?

If all have been reporting for 7 years, where's the point they were not all reporting?

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

7 years including all the last 12 months, or at what point were you testing 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 reporting?

If all have been reporting for 7 years, where's the point they were not all reporting?

I've been playing reindeer games with utilization for the last 7 months or so with the occasional monkey wrench thrown into things. I've tested utilization and the simulator.

I was having a nice run of testing when my mortgage servicing was sold messing up all of my testing/scores while the mortgage disappeared for a few months.

For years, I admittedly was ignorant to how scoring worked and just let my scores be what they were. Until recently I was unaware of the mortgage score difference from regular FICO scores.

I ended up in this forum looking for tax lien help and found out about optimization.

I did some reading at the "other" forum and they have similar theories of optimization with much better documentation and graphs than we have here.

Now with a refinance on the horizon and outgrowing my "I make enough money it doesn't matter" mentality I think optmization is interesting.

Probably more so for those with dirty files or lower scores as we are the ones where a 10 point difference can make a financial difference long term.

Message 14 of 26
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

The quick hit associated with one card reporting gets a lot of press and the 5 to 15 point boost many profiles see has been documented. No argument with that.

However, minimal reporting actually inhibits ability to effectively build credit payment history over time. This holds true regardless of the profile being old/new, thick/thin or clean/dirty. Quite a few posters with no need for new credit short term have adopted the tactic of reporting a small balance on only one card every month as a hard rule. This is not wise.

Many single card posters are actually using multiple cards each month and have significant charges which they PIF. If new credit is NOT needed short term it is best to allow these balances and subsequent payments to report. That is helpful in establishing a solid payment history and showing credit worthiness. 

Optimize for score when needed for new credit but otherwise show credit use to build history.

Sorry if I got a bit off topic.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:
However, minimal reporting actually inhibits ability to effectively build credit payment history over time. This holds true regardless of the profile being old/new, thick/thin or clean/dirty. Quite a few posters with no need for new credit short term have adopted the tactic of reporting a small balance on only one card every month as a hard rule. This is not wise.
Many single card posters are actually using multiple cards each month and have significant charges which they PIF. If new credit is NOT needed short term it is best to allow these balances and subsequent payments to report. That is helpful in establishing a solid payment history and showing credit worthiness.

Optimize for score when needed for new credit but otherwise show credit use to build history.

Not disagreeing with you one bit about let them report and pay them then optimize for an application as there is no memory to utilization.

There does seem to be some anecdotal evidence that running up a balance and allowing it to report will allow your score to go higher once you have made periodic payments.

Do we have any proof or true evidence that reporting a "small" balance on only a single card and paying off the "significant charges" before the statement date causes a score to be lower than it could be over time?  Is there any literature from FICO that suggests that?

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whether it's in the score or not, I assume any human underwriter would look more favourably on someone who has shown they can routinely pay down high balances, information that you would be concealing from them by prepaying your balance every month. 

Message 17 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

The quick hit associated with one card reporting gets a lot of press and the 5 to 15 point boost many profiles see has been documented. No argument with that.

How can you possibly make that assertion TT? Smiley Happy.

A report of $0 is still a reported payment and positive history.  There is no difference FICO wise whether you report $0 or some non-zero number when we're talking in the future.  Revolving utilization is instant in time only from exhaustive testing by a bunch of people and not a single credible source has said differently to my knowledge, FICO 04 or FICO 8.

Most lenders to my understanding report high balance as highest balance during the statement period, not highest reported balance.  There are some exceptions, but it's not the rule.  Also, payments made are reported to all bureaus; yes not every lender does this, and FICO doesn't make use of it, but if it's on the credit report, it's a good bet lenders will absolutely use it for their purposes.

You don't really have to go much beyond my Chase and Penfed approvals for 20K+ when my aggregate credit limit was only 34.6K with a high CL of 9K previously, and I've been at pretty minimal reported utilization for a more than a year while a mortgage was possibly in the wind.  The vast majority of my balances over time have reported $0: I know this is only a single anecdotal report, but there's plenty more if you look for them.

I'm all for the theory of just let the balances fall where they will when you're not applying for something (because it's irrelevant in a future FICO score and it takes effort to maintain), and I'm absolutely a supporter of if you get a high balance, damn right let that report and show everyone who looks at your report that you can pay it; however, from a pure FICO perspective it doesn't matter one iota, and frankly lenders are smarter than that.

        
Message 18 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

How can you possibly make that assertion TT? Smiley Happy.

A report of $0 is still a reported payment and positive history.  There is no difference FICO wise whether you report $0 or some non-zero number when we're talking in the future.  Revolving utilization is instant in time only from exhaustive testing by a bunch of people and not a single credible source has said differently to my knowledge, FICO 04 or FICO 8.

Most lenders to my understanding report high balance as highest balance during the statement period, not highest reported balance.  There are some exceptions, but it's not the rule.  Also, payments made are reported to all bureaus; yes not every lender does this, and FICO doesn't make use of it, but if it's on the credit report, it's a good bet lenders will absolutely use it for their purposes.

You don't really have to go much beyond my Chase and Penfed approvals for 20K+ when my aggregate credit limit was only 34.6K with a high CL of 9K previously, and I've been at pretty minimal reported utilization for a more than a year while a mortgage was possibly in the wind.  The vast majority of my balances over time have reported $0: I know this is only a single anecdotal report, but there's plenty more if you look for them.

I'm all for the theory of just let the balances fall where they will when you're not applying for something (because it's irrelevant in a future FICO score and it takes effort to maintain), and I'm absolutely a supporter of if you get a high balance, damn right let that report and show everyone who looks at your report that you can pay it; however, from a pure FICO perspective it doesn't matter one iota, and frankly lenders are smarter than that.

There are people posting in Credit Cards who had most all of their cards at zero balances, started letting some significant amount post and carry on some cards that were zero before because they had to, and certain bank algorithms tripped CLD on them. On calling the CSR, they often were able to get it worked out, with the CSR saying "I don't understand what happened", which I don't find surprising.

Letting balances report builds up a tolerance by the algorithms at various banks to understand that the balances are a normal part of the profile, not a shock.

And, while it's been well proven that driving number of cards reporting to zero does pop the score, what I haven't heard is someone taking the low utilization and letting more cards report, letting the score ride with that and seeing if the score stabilizes, over several months. That takes too long, doesn't provide a quick topic for a new thread Smiley Happy  Those who have done that, let more cards report, and see no change, get cut down in this thread because their file isn't dirty. pfft.

Then, the shorthand response to a newbie "How can I improve my score" is boiled down to "all cards but one at zero" with no explanation of the consequences.

Now that your mortgage is behind you, you would be in a good position to try letting more cards report small balances and either disprove or prove the theory that over time the file can absorb and perhaps improve with more activity on more cards.

Message 19 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Revolving utilization is instant in time only.

That's been beaten to death over the years, not sure where this theory of utillization over time mattering with respect to FICO came from though I could hazard a couple of guesses.

CC users + CLD, we never get the full story.  I've popped major balances on cards and paid them post-report, zero zip swabo CLD.

        
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.