cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO made a mistake; how can I correct it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO made a mistake; how can I correct it?

I have the FICO monitoring and I get an update every week.  I got an e-mail the other night saying my FICO score (which is excellent anyway) had dropped 14 points.  It said I had opened a new account, had a balance, and another account had some changes.

I looked at my Transunion credit report on line the next day and I could find no new accounts opened.  I called FICO and the representative checked and said she could find no new account opened.  The increased balance (not a late balance) was from 0 to $1.00 (yes one dollar).  I never could see what the other changes were to the other credit card (Discover) on Transunion.  They did go to a prime plus another figure just very recently.

So I am wondering how I can get this corrected?  Do I write to someone?  No new account opened, balance increase by $1.00, and nothing wrong with that last card which is Discover and I  am never late and always pay in full. 

What's up?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: FICO made a mistake; how can I correct it?

Welcome to the forum.  Yes you could loose 14 point for  $1 balance being reported.  I lost 10 points on TU for $12.

LOL its easy to correct though.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Joanner wrote:

I have the FICO monitoring and I get an update every week.  I got an e-mail the other night saying my FICO score (which is excellent anyway) had dropped 14 points.  It said I had opened a new account, had a balance, and another account had some changes.

I looked at my Transunion credit report on line the next day and I could find no new accounts opened.  I called FICO and the representative checked and said she could find no new account opened.  The increased balance (not a late balance) was from 0 to $1.00 (yes one dollar).  I never could see what the other changes were to the other credit card (Discover) on Transunion.  They did go to a prime plus another figure just very recently.

So I am wondering how I can get this corrected?  Do I write to someone?  No new account opened, balance increase by $1.00, and nothing wrong with that last card which is Discover and I  am never late and always pay in full. 

What's up?

Hi, welcome to the forums!

What "FICO monitoring" do you have that offers weekly updates? They have Scorewatch, that follows Equifax, and the alerts and updates wander in on a variable schedule (certainly not weekly.) They also have a TU quarterly monitoring product, but it sure doesn't update weekly.

Is it possible that you have a monitoring service from someone else like TrueCredit? If so, they might be monitoring your credit reports, and they do update weekly for TU, I think, but their scores are FAKO's. FAKO scores change differently from FICO's.

I guess I'm confused about what kind of weekly alerts you get that make you look at TransUnion.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get my weekly e-mail from MyFICO as part of the quarterly monitoring.  I got an eveyrthing's okay e-mail on Friday, then Monday I got the alert of a new account, drop in score, and the increased balance of 0 to $1.00.  On Tuesday, I got online to view my annual Transunion report where I could find no new account.

I just put a credit freeze on Transunion.  My score is excellent, so it is really not a big deal that it dropped, just irritating since I have been so good keeping everything in good stead.  Don't know what is up with the new account, though, that myFICO says I have and Transunion says I don't.

Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OK, sorry; I didn't realize that the quarterly monitoring product did that!

There have been some instances of information on the TU report displaying differently on myFICO reports, because TU might have changed a data field, not told the FICO people, and now it doesn't map.

But your FICO scores are generated from the full report, not from the myFICO version, so your score should reflect what's on your real report. (Don't know if that helps, lol. Smiley Tongue )
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Could have been an inactive account reporting a balance. I have seen what appear to be errors on that product but it is more semantic than anything else. 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.