cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO says, closing won't help your score! BUT Closing and REMOVING?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO says, closing won't help your score! BUT Closing and REMOVING?

Ok. So I am sitting here thinking about this statement. True. If you close a card it is still on your credit report for 10 years. Why would closing an account change anything.

But. What if you closed the account and got the creditor to remove all trace of the account from your CR? Maybe an account that is hurting your score can effect things if you removed the tradeline?

I don't know, just throwing this out. It can also backfire if the account was helping your score.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO says, closing won't help your score! BUT Closing and REMOVING?

ilovepizza wrote:
Ok. So I am sitting here thinking about this statement. True. If you close a card it is still on your credit report for 10 years. Why would closing an account change anything.

But. What if you closed the account and got the creditor to remove all trace of the account from your CR? Maybe an account that is hurting your score can effect things if you removed the tradeline?

I don't know, just throwing this out. It can also backfire if the account was helping your score.

This is an interesting subject and is often misunderstood. 

1.) Closing any revolving TL can lower your scores if your utilization increases. Example, you have 5 CCs with a total CL of 20K and total balances of 5K that is util of 25%. not so great either.  Let's say you close one of your cards with an 8K CL and balances remain the same.  What you have now is a total CL on your cards of 12K and balances of 5K with util at 42%, worse.  If your util is not effected by closing the accounts and they remain positive, your scores should NOT get dinged

2.) No reason on earth to try and delete a closed positive TL, CC or not.  Positve closed TLs have the same positive impact on your scores just as open ones do. 

3.) yes removing, not closing, anything negative is good.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking about this. I wanted to try things to raise my score and if those accounts backfired open or closed they were there for 10 years. Then I thought about just removing them from my CRA's. But of course only things that had a negative effect. If only inquiries were as easy to erase with a GW letter.
Message 3 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Pizza wants to get that Orchard card off his report doesn't he? LOL.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

cute!
Message 5 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

So do I.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.