cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO score dropped from 720 to 650 as a result of just 2 late AE payments……

tag
64met
Valued Member

FICO score dropped from 720 to 650 as a result of just 2 late AE payments……

Not sure if anyone can help or offer suggestion but after 15 plus years as an American EXpress Card Member I missed 2 payments.  This was the first time I can recall ever being late on a payment.  Regardless, I checked my credit score and as a result of just the AE late payments my credit score dropped from 720 to 650!  I called AE and asked about this, and of course, didn't offer much help.  

Is there anything I can do to combat this drop in my score after years of paying on time?  Does a 70 point drop seem realistic?  I screwed up, fell behind and I take full responsibility for this.... but a 70 point drop!?  

Lastly, can someone tell me how long it will take to have this American Express situation removed from my credit report and thus my score improve?  

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO score dropped from 720 to 650 as a result of just 2 late AE payments……

With a similar profile and with a perfectly clean report (other than elevated util at the time), I lost about 70-75 on a brand new 30-day late. It reported as 30-days past due on the FICO report. The following month it updated after my creditor received a payment and it said "was 30 days past due" or something like that and about 30-35 or so points returned.

Message 2 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@64met wrote:

Lastly, can someone tell me how long it will take to have this American Express situation removed from my credit report and thus my score improve?  

Thank you!!

Assuming that your account is current now.....have you already asked AMEX to remove the late payments, and did they agree to do it ?    If your payment history with them has been good previously then I would hope that they'd cut you a break this time and remove the lates.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  I'd try for a GW with them.  The only positive is that it is a minor derog and will dwindle pretty fast.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 8
drkaje
Senior Contributor

+1 on the goodwill letter.

Apologize profusely and tell them how much you've enjoyed membership's privileges over the last 15 years.

Perfect credit is hit much harder by a late payment. I'm convinced the scoring model assumes it would take a catastrophe for someone (with perfect history) to break their streak.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
64met
Valued Member

Thank you, to all who replied.  AE simply will not budge....

Thank you, to all who replied.  AE simply will not budge.... the CS rep spouted something about law and can't remove late notice to credit bureau.  Spoke with a "supervisor" and was given same response.  I asked to reconsider given my long history but they just won't help.  I have since written a letter to AE explaining situation and ask they reconsider.  We will see what happens next.  

Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thank you, to all who replied. AE simply will not budge....

Keep trying. I've seen GW success with Amex. It's a numbers game.

Message 7 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Thank you, to all who replied. AE simply will not budge....

@llecs wrote:

Keep trying. I've seen GW success with Amex. It's a numbers game.

+1

The potential payoff is too huge to not keep striving for it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.