Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO score jump

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO score jump

Just recently got a medical collection paid and removed from my TU report. Before the collection was removed my TU was 605, afterwards it jumped to 677. I am pleasantly surprised, but also perturbed that a teeny weeny $76 emergency room bill that I was never informed or contacted about could cause such havoc to one's scores. Now if I could get my EQ score headed in the same direction as TU I'd be a happy camper.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO score jump

How long did it take for your score to jump? I also just got a $75 med bill removed.
Message 2 of 8
happy0510
Established Contributor

Me too...mine was $35.  Got it removed 2 weeks ago.

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just recently got a medical collection paid and removed from my TU report. Before the collection was removed my TU was 605, afterwards it jumped to 677. I am pleasantly surprised, but also perturbed that a teeny weeny $76 emergency room bill that I was never informed or contacted about could cause such havoc to one's scores. Now if I could get my EQ score headed in the same direction as TU I'd be a happy camper.

As has been mentioned on here before, it's not the size of the delinquency that hurts, it's the fact that it was delinquent.  Remember that FICO is designed to assess the likelyhood that you will pay your debts on time, irrespective of the size of the debt.  A jump of that magnitude usually only happens when a final delinquency or collection account comes off the report, or if other changes happened simultaneously with the collection being removed, like a large drop in utilization. 

For the other posters, any change in your score by a certain event, such as a collection falling off your reports, happens the instant the event occurs.  You may not get an immediate alert from SW or a similar product, but your score change occurs when the event occurs, good or bad. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you guys go through the Hippa process.  Or did you just pay the OC, and then contact the CRA?
Message 5 of 8
happy0510
Established Contributor

Hi Mrs. Q,

Well, I got lucky.  Mine was unpaid.  I took a chance and called and told them I don't know anything about it and they said "ok, will cancel it".  That was it! And it was gone within a week! Wow....that was pretty amazing.  My only collection as well!

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a collection removed from my Tu and it jumped almost 80 points.  Just the mere presence of a collection was killing my score.  Same thing with EX, I got a 60 pt jump and the collection was 1 month from dropping off anyway, but it has been deleted and added back for years.
Message 7 of 8
makeynik
Regular Contributor

Well, ya'll are lucky.  My most important score here in the midwest is my TU and I cannot get it to budge after a recent late with a local utitlity.  I just pfd a big medical ($2500), expected a big jump, got nadda...I am glad that it is off in the long run, and they gearing up for garnishment, but I could've used that money elsewhere this past month. : (

6/30/08 TU 441 EQ 425 EX 513
8/01/08 TU 499 EQ 488 EX 489
8/23/08 EQ 556
9/04/08 EQ 567
11/14/08 TU 531, EQ 582, EX 509
12/29/08 EQ 620 (yea!) EX 546 TU 555
1/17/2009 TU 568 EQ 620 EX 584, 4/15/09 TU 506, EQ 612
5/24/09 TU 558, EQ 646
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.