cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO score / percentile chart?

tag
KeenAura

FICO score / percentile chart?

Is there a simple chart that is available or that I can compile from data that I can look up what percentile any given FICO score is? This is important to me because I want to understand how the 20 points from 600 to 620 are a lot easier to get than the 20 points from 830 to 850, to use an extreme example. They are both 20 points, but there are at least several percentile points separating 600 from 620, but 830 and 850 are both 99th percentile. Does that make sense?

Would the percentile be the same for each FICO score regardless of which of the Big Three it was based on?

Credit Scores (will pull FICO on 8-1-12):
--Start, 5-8-12: Transrisk (TU) 545, Plus (EX) 555, CE (EX) 535, Risk (EQ) 573. Mean: 552; Median: 550
--Goal, 8-1-13: Median of the TU, EX, and EQ FICO scores: 640
--Goal, 3-1-15: Median of the TU, EX, and EQ FICO scores: 760
Credit Utilization 0% (Card / Balance / Limit): Capital One / $0 / $200.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO score / percentile chart?

@KeenAura wrote:

Is there a simple chart that is available or that I can compile from data that I can look up what percentile any given FICO score is? This is important to me because I want to understand how the 20 points from 600 to 620 are a lot easier to get than the 20 points from 830 to 850, to use an extreme example. They are both 20 points, but there are at least several percentile points separating 600 from 620, but 830 and 850 are both 99th percentile. Does that make sense?

Would the percentile be the same for each FICO score regardless of which of the Big Three it was based on?

There's a similar chart within your FICO report, but that wouldn't fully explain why changing 20 pts from 600 to 620 is easier than 830 to 850. First off, the FICO score advertises to 850, but in reality it varies by FICO version and CRA with caps into the 830s and 840s. But for argument sake, let's say it does top at 850. Someone with an 830 is 100% baddie-free, has uber low util, and has a long history under his/her belt. Someone with a 600 has baddies reporting, probably poor util and/or a insufficient mix of credit, and likely a younger history. Gaining 20 from 600 is a lot easier because it is easier to improve util, remove baddies, and/or add a needed CC. When I started repair many years ago I started at the low to mid-500s and within 3 months I was in the mid 600s. I was very easy to hit that with letters, calls, added credit, debt paydown, etc. Someone who is at 830 and wants to hit 850 is cursed by time. It's time that is the remaining factor. With perfect util and no baddies, I hit 777 on EQ FICO and the only thing stopping my score from increasing was time. I needed a few more years of history under my belt before I hit into the low 800s.

That percetile would differ because FICO scores differ across all 3 and all 3 reports will differ individually and as a collective.

Message 2 of 8
KeenAura

Thanks for that detailed answer and thinly veiled barge ;-) What I'd really like is the percentile chart for each of the big three. I don't think that would be giving proprietary information. Maybe I could write FICO and report back here.

--Start, 5-8-12: Transrisk (TU) 545, Plus (EX) 555, CE (EX) 535, Risk (EQ) 573. Mean: 552; Median: 550
Message 3 of 8
expirian
New Visitor

I'd like a chart, or better still, a simple calculator.  Enter the myFICO score and get back a percentile. 

Why?  Because with ScoreWatch, I ONLY get the FICO score (whenever it changes), not the percentile.  I have to pay for a report to see the the percentile.

I track the percentiles in a chart.

Seems simple enough to provide.

JFK in Clarkesville, GA
On a 5-year plan towards 850: 533->767 and counting!
Message 4 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@expirian wrote:

I'd like a chart, or better still, a simple calculator.  Enter the myFICO score and get back a percentile. 

Why?  Because with ScoreWatch, I ONLY get the FICO score (whenever it changes), not the percentile.  I have to pay for a report to see the the percentile.

Hello Expirian and welcome to the forum. 

This thread is over a year old and the original poster has not logged onto the forum since 3-12-2013 so you will be hard pressed to get any info out of him. I would suggest you start a new thread under 'Understanding FICO scoring' so the community can help out as much as possible. Plus, it will give you more exposure. 

Message 5 of 8
expirian
New Visitor

Azguy13,

Thank you so much for responding to my append.

Turns out I didn't click around enough -- the percentile IS available with score watch.  So, I withdraw my comment (which is in an old thread which no one will probably see anyway).

JFK in Clarkesville, GA
On a 5-year plan towards 850: 533->767 and counting!
Message 6 of 8
KeenAura

The percentile is available with scorewatch? But only if your score changes. I apparently have not been logged in all the times I've been lurking since last year. I'm here.

Message 7 of 8
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@expirian wrote:

Percentiles are often presented in a bell curve. This graph becomes more or less slanted in various ways over time and across various models, which makes it less simple. You can see a breakdown of FICO scores in an article entitled The absolute worst credit score. I have tracked EQ 04 percentiles in a chart, most numbers from my own SW, the rest from others. The bell curve I came up with doesn't differ much from the breakdown. Recent years' financial roller coaster has polarized much, including score distribution, and of course FICO 08 has reshaped the bell curve as well.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.