Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO score question

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

FICO score question

I always have under 10% UTI reported every month

is it true that if I have 3 cards, to obtain the highest FICO score is better to 

report a balance on 1 card and the other 2 cards report as $0 ?

now my question is like that

if I max out on the card I want Ito report a balance, but on the other 2 I have $0 balance

and I'm still under 10% UTI will that hurt my score? Or the FICO system doesn't look at card by card and only care about the UTI % ?

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO score question

I am not so sure on the first part of your question. But I do know that if the balance on one card exceeds 90% of it's limit that is a big negative.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'm not quite understanding your question entirely, but it sounds like you want to max out a card, which is NEVER a good idea. 

Message 3 of 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

I believe you are referring to score hits from "too many accounts with balances". There seems to be a point for most people where having a balance over a certain percentage of their accounts results in a lower score than if the same amount of total debt was spread on fewer accounts. I can tell you that I lose several points when I have balances on 13 CC accounts instead of 12 out of my 25 total accounts. It is usually a few points for me.

I don't think this happens for 2 accounts but it might for 3 or 4 total accounts.

You can try and have all of them report a balance, pull a EQ FICO report and see if the "reason" of "too many accounts with balances" appears under "Items hurting your score". If it does, drop it to 2 and see if it helps.

It will NOT be the same for everyone.

Message 4 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If you hit max on the card, you might want to be careful about it.  Sometimes they balance chase you as you pay it and sometimes they close to cut their losses.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

If you do get to or near the maximum credit ceiling on one of your cards, it will not hurt long term IF you pay it off in full at the end of the first statement cut. However, you do NOT want to accrue or carry balances at or near the top as this indicates to the cc company you are having CASH FLOW problems and are very likely to DEFAULT.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.