Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO score simulator

tag
Norway64
Established Member

FICO score simulator

Last monthly, I used the simulator when my EQ fico was 639.  At that time my total credit card debt was appox 1700 representing 23% of credit limit, had two outstanding student loans i cosigned for approx 10 years ago currently totallng 18k, and have a mortgage. balance of approx 148k.

Playing around with credit simulator, it seems the best way to increase my score was paying down $1000 within one month.  That simulation was reporting that my FICO would improve to a range of 649-689.  In that last month, I had no additional derogatories on my account, there were no inquiries, two credit cards were totally paid, and the $1000 was paid off the largest account reducing that balance from approx $1400 to less than $00.

When my new fico scores appeared in September, my FICO only increased to 646.  Can someone helo me understand why there was such a small increase when imulator reported my scores could increase from 10-50 pts. by making this $1000 payment on my credit card balances.

Starting Score: 734
Current Score: 850 Equ, 846 Exp
Goal Score: 850

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cascade159
New Contributor

Re: FICO score simulator

In my experience with the simulator over the last six months it's always on the LOW end of the projection or slightly lower. You already had a low utilization (23%) so it may not bump you up that much. Everyone around here recommends getting util below 9%.

EQ: 680, TU 665, EX 615 (FAKO)
Message 2 of 4
Norway64
Established Member

by making the reduction in credit card balances, my overall utilization rate dropped from appr. 23% to less than 6%.   My thought is that if the simulator software is very inaccurate and perhaps whouldnt be relied on.   does anyone have any experience to confirm or contradict my issude with the software such as i experienced. a

Starting Score: 734
Current Score: 850 Equ, 846 Exp
Goal Score: 850

Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Did the newer report that you pulled show 6% revolving util? In other words, had all the payments and new balances been posted to your report yet? (just checking; some people miss this part)

The sim is an interesting toy, but it's very vague. I've had it over-project and under-project.

Sorry you didn't get a nice jump, but congrats on getting the debt down. I do think that your scores will rise faster with the lower util reporting.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.