Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO scores and divorce

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO scores and divorce

This is interesting.  My divorce was recently finalized, and my name has been changed on all of my accounts:  mortgage, auto loan, and CCs.  Anyway, I pulled new scores today, and they all went DOWN.

My utility is at 6% and less than half of my CCs reported a balance.  So, I guess the name change on the account due to the divorce was the trigger.  Smiley Mad

I have two recent inquiries:  Brinks (alarm system) and electricity (switched provider).  

So, do you think the drop was due to the divorce or the two inquiries?

FICOs as of today 10/05

TU 784, EQ 760, EX 773 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: FICO scores and divorce

Scoring doesn't consider marital status, among many other things. So I guess we're looking at the inqs instead. Which CRA was hit for the inqs? With your high scores, I can see a drop, but it should only be on that CRA. Maybe an extra card reported, or there was a slight balance increase?

What's Not in Your FICO® Score

FICO scores consider a wide range of information on your credit report. However, they do not consider:

Your race, color, religion, national origin, sex and marital status.
US law prohibits credit scoring from considering these facts, as well as any receipt of public assistance, or the exercise of any consumer right under the Consumer Credit Protection Act.

What's Not in Your Score

Hope the transition to your new life goes smoothly!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HTSU,

Both INQs were with EX.  Balances are lower than when I pulled my last FICOs and only two  (out of six) CCs reported a balance.

The only thing that changed was my name.

Life is getting betterSmiley Happy  One day at a time.

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Did any TLs drop off?

Did any new accounts get added?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No and no.

Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Scout1965 wrote:

HTSU,

Both INQs were with EX.  Balances are lower than when I pulled my last FICOs and only two  (out of six) CCs reported a balance.

The only thing that changed was my name.

Life is getting betterSmiley Happy  One day at a time.

Well, that explains why the EX drop was so big.

I just don't know about the other two. I'm sure that you've done the yellow-highlighter thing on your reports to compare. This is probably especially important with such a big change in your life. Make sure that nothing shows new opening dates. Did you get anything different for negative factors on screen 2 of your FICO score reports?

TNWM is convinced that sometimes scores just randomly change. I don't know that I agree, but sometimes, it seems to be all that's left.

Hang in there girl, I'm rooting for ya!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HTSU,

Thanks for the reply.  I have been over all three reports with a fine tooth comb.  Nothing has changed except for the two INQ on EX.  Maybe it is sunspots or the polar ice caps melting...

FWIW, all of my credit is in my name only.  I have never had and will never have joint accounts.

Message 7 of 8
GFer
Valued Contributor

"FWIW, all of my credit is in my name only.  I have never had and will never have joint accounts."

You go, Girl!  Smiley Wink

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.