cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO scores are not actual Trans Unions Scores???????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO scores are not actual Trans Unions Scores???????

I have recently been trying to clear two items on my credit report.  In speaking with special handling at Trans Union I was told that the scores reported on My Fico for Trans Union are not the actual Scores. 

Being quite shocked by this I asked for an explination.  The special handling person explained that Trans Union uses Vantage for scoring.  I asked for my actual score from Trans Union and she said she was not able to give this to me when I pressured her and explained that both EQ and EX were reporting my scores in the 600's and TU was in the high 500 and it was not fair.  She asked what my FICO score was being reported as on My Fico I told her it was 584 and she said "well I can tell you that TU score is above 600 too"

My question is why am I paying almost 90.00 a year for scores that are not true for TU?

How can I ever get my actual true scores?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO scores are not actual Trans Unions Scores???????

The TU score from MyFico is the TU classic FICO score. You cannot purchase this score directly from the main TU website or from the TrueCredit website. As you have found, TU lives in a fantasy world and likes to call their Vantage score your "real" or "actual" TU score, even though few (if any) lenders in the real world look at it.

You can purchase your TU FICO score from the TransUnion Consumer Solutions website transunioncs.com and, of course, from MyFico.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I understand that I can purchase my TU score through my FICO but it is actually lower than the TU score.  I just had it run for auto financing and the actual score given was in the 600's my fico is showing 598.  I also just did a refi and they pulled a tri and it showed higher in the tri report. 

TU is crazy I agree I am inthe mid 600's with EQ and EX with the same information listed with TU so I can't figure this out.
Message 3 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Your score from TU is FAKO.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The scores you purchase from MyFico are your classic FICO scores. Whoever was approving your auto financing probably pulled auto-enhanced FICO scores, which are based on a slightly different formula that was also created by Fair Isaac. The scores pulled by your mortgage lender might also have been a customized FICO version, although scores pulled by mortgage lenders are usually the same as or very close to the classic FICO scores.

It's not unusual that an auto-enhanced FICO score and a customized mortgage FICO score could both be slightly higher than your classic FICO score.

The score that the TU rep referred to as "our" score or the "real TU" score was a TransRisk or Vantage score, which are FAKO scores that are often higher numbers than the corresponding FICO score. It's extremely unlikely that your auto or mortgage lenders were looking at FAKO scores.
Message 5 of 9
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

DeeT ... I have the opposite problem.  My Fico TU score, at 686 is quite a bit higher than my TU score, at 626, and just yesterday I received notice from my bank that my cc interest rate was going up to 25% due to TU's score.  I was able to combat this with the Fico TU, and got it fixed at 17.  Good grief.  When I called TransUnion to inquire about this, the Rep told me that my TrueCredit score is not a real TransUnion score!  Say, what!  She also told me that the score I obtain from the regular TransUnion website is not my real TransUnion score.  I sorted it all  out today, with my bank, in learning that with BOA anyway, the VANTAGE score is taking hold.... I'm at a loss now as to whose and which scores to monitor.  How about you?

Message Edited by MercyMe on 06-05-2007 05:39 PM
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in mind that some lenders use FICO scores while others use just one credit br and most large lenders will use a custom score that is a combination of either FICO or one credit br and other factors they consider important. Your FICO may differ from the TU score but your lender may not consider either one when deciding whether or not to extend you credit. From my experience, reveiwing thousands of credit reports for 3 large banks, TU is usually the highest.
Message 7 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

3rd325 wrote:
Keep in mind that some lenders use FICO scores while others use just one credit br and most large lenders will use a custom score that is a combination of either FICO or one credit br and other factors they consider important. Your FICO may differ from the TU score but your lender may not consider either one when deciding whether or not to extend you credit. From my experience, reveiwing thousands of credit reports for 3 large banks, TU is usually the highest.

TU was usually my highest score but now it's EQ.  From your experience can you tell us which CRA's is usually second and third?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't noticed a reacurring difference between Equifax and Experien. Although location does seem to have an effect. If you have lived in one area for quite awhile then one CRA might have more information on you. Not all lenders report to all three CRAs. Mine is a good example. I lived in NC for about 4yrs and an auto loan I got at a local lender there only shows on my Equifax report and not the other two. Large lenders will report to all three while a smaller lender or stores (like auto dealerships) might only use and report to one CRA.

Message Edited by 3rd325 on 06-06-2007 10:40 PM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.