FICO scores

I just had a bank run my credit scores which came back TU-694 EQ-694 and EX-741. Can anyone explain to me why the Experian score would be 47 points higher? I am looking to refinance my house with these low interest rates at the current time.

Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO scores

Fallonrmq wrote:

I just had a bank run my credit scores which came back TU-694 EQ-694 and EX-741. Can anyone explain to me why the Experian score would be 47 points higher? I am looking to refinance my house with these low interest rates at the current time.

There could be many reasons like:

1) baddies on EQ and TU, but not EX,

2) longer length of history on EX over EQ or TU,

3) longer AAoA on EX over EQ and TU,

4) lower revolving util on EX over EQ and TU,

5) improved mix of credit on EX over EQ and TU,

6) higher balances on EQ and TU over EX,

7) more accts reporting $0 on EX over EQ and TU,

8) newer accounts on EQ and TU over EX,

9) dispute comments on one CRA over another,

and others which slip my mind at this point. These are the biggest suspects. It could be a combination of one or many resulting in the difference. Also, the FICO formula differs across all 3, so it's normal to have small differences, though I'd guess there's something else in play.

Established Contributor

Most mortage lenders  pull a tri-merged report showing all three on one page. They pick out the Middle score and use it for your qualifying and to set your interest rate. So attempt to get all three reports higher for the lowest interest rate.

Starting scores 01/02/2012 EQ 707(Fico) TU 733(Fico) EXP 735 (FAKO)
Updated scores 06/01/2014 EQ 797(Fico) TU 768(Fico) EXP 769 (Fico), EQ 849 (Next Gen 5/27/14 Penfed)

Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience

Thank you for the info.

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.