Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO should release their formula

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO should release their formula

and you keep ignoring the fact that my brother has spotless credit and doesn't have a premium score. How come we can't rectify these differences? Well, I would venture to say that we don't know why this is because FICO doesn't give out that kind of information.

And this is because they don't want you to know or understand how this all really works. It's the perfect situation for them. Scores don't make sense, then go to TU, EQU and EXP and see what they are reporting. If you go to them, they are going to be quick to say, "don't blame us, we don't set the scores." It's a circular situation, with no rhyme or reason to solving any of the mess, and if you think differently, then read the multitude of topics that exist with the "what the hell is going on with my scores" threads. The reason none of us know what is going on is because no one wants us to know what is going on. It's the perfect storm...organized chaos.
Message 81 of 99
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I, too, fell within that category at one point in time w/TU. And yes, it bothered the crap out of me. I did have CCs and a car loan and a mortgage and never, ever missed a payment on anything, yet TU was 25-30 points lower than the other CRAs, granted it was 700s, but much lower than the others. I didn't understand the scoring system at that time though.

Are you saying that there shouldn't be a risk factor built into FICO scoring? In other words, should a mortgage, an installment loan, an unsecured CC and a loan from a CFC to be weighted the same? I think not. A CFC begins making reminder calls in as little as one or two days past the due date to ensure that their payment is a priority for its customers. Smiley Surprised They should not have the same risk factor as any of the other types of TLs.

Now, is it TU to blame that they want a different algorithm than the others and weigh different TLs differently. This is the same thing as wondering why Car insurance company X will give you a different rate than Car insurance company Y, when they are presumably looking at the same data to rate you. Or life insurance and medical insurance too, for that matter (they also have a "score" for you that YOU ARE NOT PRVIY TO ACCESS). They all have their risk tolerance with which they are comfortable and will score you based off of their internal company matrix. How is this different?

Read some of my old threads about TU. I have my share of beefs with them. My beef however, is not with FICO. It's with the CRAs that won't update information on a timely basis that would perhaps cause my scores to be more in line with one another.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 82 of 99
borg_cube
Valued Member

FICO's very own explanation on this website of the scoring models admits that even if all three CRA's have EXACTLY the same information, the scores may not be the same.

Isn't that special? That alone should disqualify the FICO model.

The medical analogies don't fly here. Nowhere does a private company have the right to report your specific health issues to other private companies to be sold to other private companies and demand that you must adhere to their monopolized industry standard "secret formulas" every time you wish to engage in a health related adventure.

In fact, even when applying for life insurance, you can only be asked about your health and then must submit to testing if the company chooses that path. They are not allowed to pull your records from your physicians, etc.

FICO isn't the problem per se, that firm just developed a method of credit evaluation which has been widely accepted...good for them. The problem is that the method is not clear and available. The problem is that it forces certain behavior for its own benefit and that of the industry, not necessarily for those whose information is being manipulated.

Just tonight, I was with a guy who bought a new car in 10 minutes! Signed and delivered in less than 30. It was insane. While such convenience is a positive aspect of the FICO model being used to benefit consumers, this over-reliance has led to the current mortgage crisis, out of control debt, and toxic debt spreading over the entire globe. My friend should have had to wait until his FICO scores were reviewed, income could be verified, bank statements gone over, references verified, etc.

I know people with FICO scores in the mid-high 700's who don't even work or have any reasonable income. And yet, they could waltz right in and buy a car in under an hour.

Dear FICO, just post the formula, it's the least you can do since it controls almost every serious financial decision we make. You've no doubt sealed the IP angle here, so just do it.

Message 83 of 99
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@borg_cube wrote:
FICO's very own explanation on this website of the scoring models admits that even if all three CRA's have EXACTLY the same information, the scores may not be the same.
So that's FICO's fault?  The three CRAs want different algorithms, that's why they were developed.  Blame the three CRAs for not wanting the exact same one.  The CRAs are trying to set themselves apart for their customers--giving them what they think they want.
Isn't that special? That alone should disqualify the FICO model.

The medical analogies don't fly here. Nowhere does a private company have the right to report your specific health issues to other private companies to be sold to other private companies and demand that you must adhere to their monopolized industry standard "secret formulas" every time you wish to engage in a health related adventure.
Oh, but there are "medical health reports" (for lack of a better term) and they are pulled and used when you apply for life insurance and private health insurance.  I used to sell the insurance (no I am not proud of it) Smiley Very Happy, but hey it happened.  I had a client who was in great physical health, but upon the "med. health report" being pulled, he was declined.  I guess it had something to do with his emotional health.
In fact, even when applying for life insurance, you can only be asked about your health and then must submit to testing if the company chooses that path. They are not allowed to pull your records from your physicians, etc.
See above comments.
FICO isn't the problem per se, that firm just developed a method of credit evaluation which has been widely accepted...good for them. The problem is that the method is not clear and available. The problem is that it forces certain behavior for its own benefit and that of the industry, not necessarily for those whose information is being manipulated.
You are not the client.  The CRAs and lending institutions are.  They are asking that FICO provide information in such a manner and that's why it exists.
Just tonight, I was with a guy who bought a new car in 10 minutes! Signed and delivered in less than 30. It was insane. While such convenience is a positive aspect of the FICO model being used to benefit consumers, this over-reliance has led to the current mortgage crisis, out of control debt, and toxic debt spreading over the entire globe. My friend should have had to wait until his FICO scores were reviewed, income could be verified, bank statements gone over, references verified, etc.
Again, failing to see how this is FICO's fault.  It's the fault of the desperate car dealership who took the risk.  No one twisted the dealership's arm to make that sale.  They must really be desperate...on a Sunday night?  Dealerships in my neck of the woods are not allowed to be open on Sundays.  Have to give us a day that we can look without being hounded by the guys in plaid suits and white patent leather shoes.Smiley Very Happy
I know people with FICO scores in the mid-high 700's who don't even work or have any reasonable income. And yet, they could waltz right in and buy a car in under an hour.
Again, not FICO's fault.
Dear FICO, just post the formula, it's the least you can do since it controls almost every serious financial decision we make. You've no doubt sealed the IP angle here, so just do it.
Then, it will become generic and FICO will go out of business, as everyone else will have the formula and FICO scores would sell for $.50 a pop.  Remember when IBM was on top of the PC world...no longer.  They lost their competitive advantage to all of the IBM compatibles.

I am sorry that I can't think of the exact name of the "medical health or credit reports" at this time.  My brain is fried, as it's 1:30 and I have been up for about 20 hours or so.Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 84 of 99
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another circular, pointless argument that should go to the "Random Ramblings" section.
Message 85 of 99
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Oh, I don't know, it got silly there for a while, but the recent arguments got a bit more enlightening! Smiley Happy

It takes people a while to mentally separate out what is cause by FICO scores, what by the CRA's, and what by lenders, and how each one affects the others. Plus what has resulted from our personal actions and choices!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 86 of 99
borg_cube
Valued Member

Hauling-

Not saying it's FICO's fault at all. What I'm saying is that FICO, the CRA'a and the entire shakedown should be overhauled. What I'm saying is that personal medical records for instance are tantamount to personal financial records, and yet, the latter have nowhere near the type of protections associated with them.

What I'm saying is that since this information has become so entrenched in the way personal business is carried out beyond even financial matters, that the information held should be available, made fully accountable, anytime the person in question asks for it, free of charge. FICO can still charge the CCA's whatever they'd like and the CCA's then have to figure out a way to make money. The CCA's should also be held responsible for errors and forced to compensate those they have slighted with inaccurate information. Civil and/or criminal charges should be able to be brought against them for simply posting erroneous data, whether or not they eventually remove or correct it. If they're going to control so much of our personal financial data, then the stakes should be very high, so high that even one error on someone's report costs them dearly.

Imagine the outcry if some scoring model was implemented about your health history and used as are your FICO scores? Yeah, that would fly. An employer would be able to run your health score for employment for example. Mailboxes would be full of targeted ads for that "problem" you have, trying to sell you the cure or a remedy for example.

Look, I know it's a game we all must play now, and I've played it well. But it's not baseball, it's flawed beyond belief and needs to be restructured from the ground up in my opinion.

Oh, and in case you're reading this Boscoe...if this is just to circular and such, then bugger off.
Message 87 of 99
fused
Moderator Emeritus

borg_cube wrote:

Oh, and in case you're reading this Boscoe...if this is just to circular and such, then bugger off.

Warning!

This is a reminder to be friendly and supportive!
Message 88 of 99
borg_cube
Valued Member

Fused-

Then perhaps you can point me to the "random ramblings" section Boscoe referred to so he won't be bothered by the circular drivel? I can't seem to find it.

Of course, I would never be so presumptive as to ask for your algorithm in determining when you issue such warnings. Why then, you might be out of a job!
Message 89 of 99
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Hmmm.  This thread seems to be generating more heat then light on the subject  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 90 of 99
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.