Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO tactics/tricks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO tactics/tricks

I know they say that there are no tricks/tactics to the formula, but I've been analyzing my transactions religously now for months and have increased my score from 585 to 721. I've discovered a couple ideas that I haven't seen anyone discuss here yet: 

Strategy #1: Using Balance Transfers to increase your score:  I recently opened an account and transferred a balance to it.  When the account opened, my score went unchanged. However, when I transferred a balance my score increased by a few points.  When the old acct gets cleared out my score increases and when I pay the acct in full in six months the score will go even higher. 

Strategy #2: Finance a car, refinance it and refinance it again.  Every time you pay it off your score increases.  When the new acct is created however your score in not affected. For some reason I think FICO penalizes opening revolving accounts more than installment accts.  Finally, I like the inquiries increase game.  Go ahead and try it for yourself, only if you have the stomach.  Let's say that you're going car shopping.  Apply with as many bank as you like on the same day.  As FICO promises, you won't be penalized for more than one credit check since it's an auto purchase and you're conducting the inquiry within a two week period. Now the credit increase part. When your inquiries start to drop off, guess what, your score starts to increase for each inquiry that drops!!!

Strategy #3:  I call it the "one pop at a time" technique. FICO rewards you better for one change at a time rather than making many changes all at once.  For instance, don't pay off several accts at once. Instead, pay off one at a time and this will increase your score higher than by paying them all at once. 

Please feel free to share your strategies.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
girlie
Regular Contributor

Re: FICO tactics/tricks

thanks for the tip.  i agree with paying off accounts one at a time.  your picture kinda freaks me out a littleSmiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's freaking out the FICO formula tooSmiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

crocpa wrote:
I know they say that there are no tricks/tactics to the formula, but I've been analyzing my transactions religously now for months and have increased my score from 585 to 721. I've discovered a couple ideas that I haven't seen anyone discuss here yet: 

Strategy #1: Using Balance Transfers to increase your score:  I recently opened an account and transferred a balance to it.  When the account opened, my score went unchanged. However, when I transferred a balance my score increased by a few points.  When the old acct gets cleared out my score increases and when I pay the acct in full in six months the score will go even higher. 

Strategy #2: Finance a car, refinance it and refinance it again.  Every time you pay it off your score increases.  When the new acct is created however your score in not affected. For some reason I think FICO penalizes opening revolving accounts more than installment accts.  Finally, I like the inquiries increase game.  Go ahead and try it for yourself, only if you have the stomach.  Let's say that you're going car shopping.  Apply with as many bank as you like on the same day.  As FICO promises, you won't be penalized for more than one credit check since it's an auto purchase and you're conducting the inquiry within a two week period. Now the credit increase part. When your inquiries start to drop off, guess what, your score starts to increase for each inquiry that drops!!!

Strategy #3:  I call it the "one pop at a time" technique. FICO rewards you better for one change at a time rather than making many changes all at once.  For instance, don't pay off several accts at once. Instead, pay off one at a time and this will increase your score higher than by paying them all at once. 

Please feel free to share your strategies.

"For some reason I think FICO penalizes opening revolving accounts more than installment accts."

Yes, this is definitely true.Smiley Mad
Message 4 of 9
girlie
Regular Contributor

i recently opened a new account with amex but it isn't showing yet.  it is my first new account in years.  how much do you think my fico will go down if at all?
Message 5 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

girlie wrote:
i recently opened a new account with amex but it isn't showing yet.  it is my first new account in years.  how much do you think my fico will go down if at all?

You can expect a small ding in the short term, up to six months.  Nobody can say for certain how many points any change or action will have on your scores.  My guess would be less than 22.64789 points.

Message Edited by fused111 on 06-27-2007 04:32 PM
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

crocpa wrote:
Strategy #1: Using Balance Transfers to increase your score

Strategy #2: Finance a car, refinance it and refinance it again

Strategy #3:  I call it the "one pop at a time" technique.

1) Caveat to watch for is BT fees. If the balances are really large, it may not matter. Just something to keep in mind so you don't get surprised.

2) Refi on a car may not make sense at all. Mine is 4.9 thru GMAC, and I doubt I'd get anything better.

3) FI claims no to this, but others have reported this as well. Gather up enough anecdotes, and ya got yerself a scientific study.

Message 7 of 9
girlie
Regular Contributor

shoot....hopefully by paying down my debt a little more it will be a wash
Message 8 of 9
girlie
Regular Contributor

shoot....hopefully by paying down my debt a little more it will be a wash
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.