Established Member
PersonalBanker89

FICO vs. CreditKarma

I ran my credit score today for the first time after recently applying for two credit cards. MyFICO Equifax is 745 and TransUnion 740. I ran my score on CreditKarma which showed 615. Why such a big difference and which should I trust? One of the credit cards I recently recieved came with a slip showing my score as 705.

Starting Score: Eq 745 TU 740 (05/11/2013)
Current Score: Eq 745 TU 740
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
dodfire

Re: FICO vs. CreditKarma

Welcome to the Forums!!!

Credit Karma offers what is known as FAKO scores...not your actual FICO

If you pulled your scores from myFico you saw your true FICO score.

Lenders will also use their own scoring system an internal score such as AMEX and Discover so your scores will not always be exactly the same depending on who is pulling your report.

*8/10/13
Established Member
PersonalBanker89

Thanks for the welcome! I was just surprised it was over a 100 point difference between the two reports. I recently just applied for two credit cards at right about the same time and received both cards, but only one is showing on the reports. I know it can take a while for some cards to show but I am wondering how this is going to effect my score?

Starting Score: Eq 745 TU 740 (05/11/2013)
Current Score: Eq 745 TU 740
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
dodfire

Normally new credit lines will cause a slight decrease in your score. Over time you will get those points back as your accounts age.

*8/10/13
Valued Contributor
thom02099

PersonalBanker89 wrote:

I ran my credit score today for the first time after recently applying for two credit cards. MyFICO Equifax is 745 and TransUnion 740. I ran my score on CreditKarma which showed 615. Why such a big difference and which should I trust? One of the credit cards I recently recieved came with a slip showing my score as 705.

Credit Karma doesn't include closed trade lines.  You may have a number of closed accounts in good standing that show up on a true FICO-backed report, that impact your score by being on the report.  Closed accounts can stay on your report for 10 (or more) years.  CK doesn't take that into account, only open TL.  Hence, a possible explanation in deviation that great in the score and why most folks use CK only for TRENDS in reports and not for the score. 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 799 EQ = 812 TU = 811 - 11/2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}