Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO vs. Equifax FICO score

tag
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO vs. Equifax FICO score

@medicgrrl wrote:

Monitors your credit report at Equifax on a daily basis and your FICO® score on a weekly basis

When you rec'd your SW alert it was probably the score from the previous day.  When EQ pulled your score later that day you probably had some sort of change, an acct updating or something from the previous day to that day, causing your score to go up a few points.  It may have even been an inquiry that aged or something.  Next week you will probably receive another SW showing the updated score.  I have noticed that it takes a couple of days for my SW alerts to reflect the changes in my report.

Where does it say FICO score is weekly? I am not seeing that anywhere on their site and what DOES show, indicates its daily. Although if that is indeed the case, it would explain to a small extent the discrepency. Can you point to where you got that? Thanks.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 21 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Score Watch doesn't pull really. If something occurs which triggers a triggerable lol alert it will send you the alert whether or not the score chances. In theory. Since it doesn't pull if your score changes how would it know? If a tree falls yada yada. 
Message 22 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't know what version Equifax spins, but if you go to the myFICO® Product Feedback board, you can click on Barry's explanation of when and for what SW goes looking.

From what I can make of it, it searches more frequently for possible indicators of identity theft (address changes, new accounts, etc.) than for triggers for score changes (balance changes, etc.) That's the underlying idea, anyway.

* ducks and hides under dining room table --I didn't invent SW, people! *
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 29
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
Score Watch doesn't pull really. If something occurs which triggers a triggerable lol alert it will send you the alert whether or not the score chances. In theory. Since it doesn't pull if your score changes how would it know? If a tree falls yada yada. 

Supposedly, they are required to do a maintenance pull and generate those changes. However, Equifax told me in so many words that, although they are supposed to do that, unless they get a voluntary report from other CRAs about changes, they won't solicit them, which is contrary to what they advertise. Their own portion, they are supposed to pull (which doesn't show anywhere) at midnight, including the last days activity to generate those alerts, but they don't because why "waste" system resources when you can charge for the service and not actually provide it and make 100% profit. When they complain, we'll give it to them and say oh it was a system glitch, whose the wiser.

Message 24 of 29
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

* ducks and hides under dining room table --I didn't invent SW, people! *

If you had, it might actually work like it should. Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 29
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

When you click products at the top of this page and then click more information it says that your score is checked weekly.  If there are changes that ultimately affect your score(such as new accts or other items that SW checks for) then you will also see changes then.  I had SW score updates when things were deleted.  These items did not create an alert other than the score changing.  Those score updates were based on the weekly look vs changes to my report for new accts, inquiries etc.

Hope that made sense!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 26 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:

When you click products at the top of this page and then click more information it says that your score is checked weekly.  If there are changes that ultimately affect your score(such as new accts or other items that SW checks for) then you will also see changes then.  I had SW score updates when things were deleted.  These items did not create an alert other than the score changing.  Those score updates were based on the weekly look vs changes to my report for new accts, inquiries etc.

Hope that made sense!

Numerous people have complained about having to pull a report to see a new score. It is not all encompassing but random. If you complain they give you a fre pull. I prefer to pull my own report when I want. Despite numerous changes to my report over the course of the past 26 months my EQ has only ranged from 682-709. Due to my own errors I have probably jiggered things so that my severe drop in average age has been offset by a move from 56% U down to 1%. My AAofA has gone from 5 to 2. Some my fault some EQ. SW is a waste IMHO.

Message 27 of 29
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Since this has drawn so much interest, I will attempt to explain in detail, how this happened.  As I said, I'm a member of CreditWatch Gold.  What I didn't mention is that in January, I purchased the four "Score Power" reports of which I had use two.  Yesterday, when I logged on, it was for the purpose of accessing one of my two remaining ScorePower reports.  However, when I requested the report, I received an error message that said ; "YouI have already requested a report and will receive an email when it is available for viewing".  So, I called customer service and spoke with Ahmed in Pakistan.  He was very helpful and produced my report and score while I was watching online.  This is where the score discrepency between FICO and Experian appeared.  He then went on to explain that the new offering would provide a new score each time your report was pulled using "Credit Watch Gold".  I questioned him extensively but he was adamant that using the new plan, the score would be provided with a regular pull.

So, this morning, after reading this thread, I logged on to Equifax and to my surprise, In the "Report Manager"; (a box that appears on the right of the main page), it shows "Equifax Credit Report - Unlimited".  Below that it shows "Score Power - 1 of 4" and below that it shows ANOTHER "Score Power - 1 of 2".  I only mention this because it shows that perhaps Ahmed was trying to make nice since I'd had a problem.

So, this morning I requested a regular report. Went through to the confirmation screen and (wouldn't you know it), got a message that the system is down.  So, at this moment in time I still don't know if the unlimited reports will provide a score or not.

I have looked at the product comparisons they offer but don't see anything that states daily pulls AND score.  So, I suspect that . . . 1) Ahmed may have been smoking something besides cigaretts . . . or . . . 2) Equifax is not training their CSR's properly.  I seriously doubt that Equifax is going to give unlimited pulls WITH a score for $9.95/mo.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 29
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

To add to the mystery, I just got a ScoreWatch Alert.  My score has risen to 741, an 8 point increase.  Notwithstanding the fact that Equifax and ScoreWatch seem to be operating on different planets, I'll keep them both for a while longer just to watch the fun since I don't plan on apping for anything for at least a year.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.