Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO vs Lender scores

tag
fungoman
Regular Contributor

Re: FICO vs Lender scores

It is misleading, but the 90% is in lending decisions, not mortgage decisions.

Message 11 of 29
user5387
Valued Contributor

@fungoman wrote:

It is misleading, but the 90% is in lending decisions, not mortgage decisions.

If you look at the front page of MyFico.com, they say that FICO scores are used in more than 90% of lending decisions.

I have no specific knowledge of this number, but I expect it's accurate.

The FICO 04 score is used in basically all mortgage lending.

What seems to be missing is a statement that says that the specific scores sold on this site are not used in mortgage lending.  People who have been reading this forum for a while know this, but not the public in general.

Message 12 of 29
iv
Valued Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

What seems to be missing is a statement that says that the specific scores sold on this site are not used in mortgage lending.  People who have been reading this forum for a while know this, but not the public in general.

It's not even that it's missing that sort of disclaimer...  MyFICO has outright claims on the site that these scores are the mortgage scores.

See:

http://www.myfico.com/loancenter/mortgage/step1/getthescores.aspx

http://www.myfico.com/helpcenter/mortgages/buying_a_home.aspx

...etc.

And it's not that that hasn't been pointed out to them, almost a month ago:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/TU-Score-Dropped-by-50-Points/m-p/3163998...

There isn't really any wiggle room in the "Get the Score Lenders Use to Evaluate Your Home Mortgage Loan" claim.

Anyone reading that and thinking the scores here would match a tri-merge isn't (just) "confused" or "under informed" - they followed knowingly false marketing material posted by myFICO.

Was it at least partially true back when EQ04 was available here?  Yes. (But still misleading.)

It's not true now.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly, I specifically looked for scores that mortgage lenders use, and this website is the first thing that pops up.

Message 14 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iv: It was pointed out to them again as a result of this thread this morning.  Haven't heard anything back yet, though one supposes that striking the word "mortgage" from their advertising wouldn't be a massive regulatory issue.  It is less than impressive though, albeit given the small claims nature of it they're not likely jumping through hoops in their Legal department as compared to the other issues they're almost assuredly dealing with.

        
Message 15 of 29
user5387
Valued Contributor

@iv wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

It's not even that it's missing that sort of disclaimer...  MyFICO has outright claims on the site that these scores are the mortgage scores.

See:

http://www.myfico.com/loancenter/mortgage/step1/getthescores.aspx

http://www.myfico.com/helpcenter/mortgages/buying_a_home.aspx

...etc.

And it's not that that hasn't been pointed out to them, almost a month ago:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/TU-Score-Dropped-by-50-Points/m-p/3163998...

There isn't really any wiggle room in the "Get the Score Lenders Use to Evaluate Your Home Mortgage Loan" claim.

Anyone reading that and thinking the scores here would match a tri-merge isn't (just) "confused" or "under informed" - they followed knowingly false marketing material posted by myFICO.

Was it at least partially true back when EQ04 was available here?  Yes. (But still misleading.)

It's not true now.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for a credit card and was denied. Received the letter with my credit score, which is 100 points less than the score reported on this website. So apparently the mortgage industry is not the only industry still using FICO 04 ....

Message 17 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for a credit card and was denied. Received the letter with my credit score, which is 100 points less than the score reported on this website. So apparently the mortgage industry is not the only industry still using FICO 04 ....

Welcome to the forums!

Credit card issuers use all sorts of scores, including internal ones, and FICO ones that we don't have access to as consumers in addition to the mainline ones.  The vast majority of major credit card issuers (maybe all of the big ones, CU's might still) don't use FICO '04.

Did they say what the score range was, or what the particular score name was?  If it doesn't state FICO® then it's something else entirely.

        
Message 18 of 29
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry, but I've also been questioning my paid membership in MyFICO. How many times has this particular line been used on new forum members: "That other site uses a FICO 08 and not many lenders use that scoring model. The FICO 04 can only be found at MyFICO and that is what makes being a paid member worthwhile."

I really don't care how my FICO 08 score looks because I already have plenty of credit cards but am working on a mortgage.

Now, I have a Walmart/Discover, Discover IT and a Cap1 card. I get a free FICO 08 score each month from each lender. If I use the CC's free scores along with my free Credit Karma account I think that I would have a much better idea of what is happening with my credit than my paid MyFICO membership. MyFICO Scorewatch certainly doesn't do as good a job at organizing my credit file as Credit Karma does.

So now...Let's talk about costs. Scorewatch cost $14.95 per month or $179.40 per year. Just what am I getting for the $179.40 per year versus FREE?

Am I missing something?

Really, I love participating in the forums on MyFICO but Scorewatch EQ FICO 08 is not worth $14.95 a month in my opinion.

Why are you trying to defend MyFICO even though they haven't reduced their pricing or even had the common and ethical courtesy to change their marketing. I mean it's already been a few months since they have been converting people to an inferior product.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 19 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jamie123 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I've also been questioning my paid membership in MyFICO. How many times has this particular line been used on new forum members: "That other site uses a FICO 08 and not many lenders use that scoring model. The FICO 04 can only be found at MyFICO and that is what makes being a paid member worthwhile."

I really don't care how my FICO 08 score looks because I already have plenty of credit cards but am working on a mortgage.

Now, I have a Walmart/Discover, Discover IT and a Cap1 card. I get a free FICO 08 score each month from each lender. If I use the CC's free scores along with my free Credit Karma account I think that I would have a much better idea of what is happening with my credit than my paid MyFICO membership. MyFICO Scorewatch certainly doesn't do as good a job at organizing my credit file as Credit Karma does.

So now...Let's talk about costs. Scorewatch cost $14.95 per month or $179.40 per year. Just what am I getting for the $179.40 per year versus FREE?

Am I missing something?

Really, I love participating in the forums on MyFICO but Scorewatch EQ FICO 08 is not worth $14.95 a month in my opinion.

Why are you trying to defend MyFICO even though they haven't reduced their pricing or even had the common and ethical courtesy to change their marketing. I mean it's already been a few months since they have been converting people to an inferior product.

Not certain who you're directing this to, but if you have any experience with my postings, you'd be aware I ranted more than the vast majority of members at the change.

Currently, other than a once a year S+G pull of my Experian to ring in the New Year, I don't bother with FICO 8 pulls personally as like you they aren't worth that much to me.

        
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.