Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORGET fico score NOT used by Mtg Lenders

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: FORGET fico score NOT used by Mtg Lenders

anderson2624 wrote: (a lot)

I have a couple of comments I'd like to add to the community's response.

1.  If you hold Ctrl and press + or - your browser will zoom in and out.  That's how most people get text to a comfortable size on the internet.

2.  General forum etiquette is to not go colorful and multi-sized on your fonts.  Instead of emphasizing your point, it makes people not want to read it.  If you are new to forum posting this may be news to you, and is not meant to be insulting.  That's just how it is.  A post in the style you used is considered rude and inflammatory, and the community response will be colored by that fact.

3.  It is clear from your post that you need to read "Credit Scoring 101".  This will help clear some of the misconceptions and let you understand what is happening here.

4.  Most scores you buy, even those from the Credit Bureaus are not FICO scores.  This means they are a completely different scoring algorithm, i.e.. Everything is weighted differently, and the range of values is different as well.  If you got your scores from them, they are definitely not FICO scores.  A different algorithm means a different result.  Most of us here think this is a rip-off, and believe that consumers are intentionally misled into buying scores that don't matter.  

5.  If you go today and buy a FICO score here, you can only get one for TU and EQ.  They do not sell the FICO EX here, but there are a couple of places to find it.  Read the boards here to find out.

6.  Your comment that banks take in more loan applications than they have money to lend is completely baseless.  The bank that took your app doesn't get rich on application fees, in fact many lenders don't have those fees at all.  And they typically don't fund the loans themselves anyway.  If you pass the approval process, your loan is funded by someone else.  There is plenty of loan money available out there, if you qualify.

7.  Honest car dealers often use an Auto-Enhanced score. Which IS different.  Most people here will tell you to use a credit union instead.  Dishonest car dealers will tell you that you have bad credit even if you don't, in order to jack up your rate.  Buyer beware.  This is way different from the mortgage market.

8.  Tags like "Valued Contributor" are achieved through time and number of posts on the forum, a common thing among boards of all types.

9.  You mentioned that several banks gave you a score 50 points lower than you thought it was.  There's the proof.  All of these banks used the same scoring algorithm, likely the FICO score.  Your score was almost definitely an alternate algorithm, like Plus or Risk, or Vantage.  Sorry to hear you got duped, but the fault is not with your bank; it is with the deceptive practices of the score sellers.  

10.  There is no conspiracy...  They're not out to get you.  But the deck is stacked heavily against the consumer.  It's like blackjack - the house has an edge.  And reading here is like learning to count cards.  Educate yourself, and you'll be the one with the edge.  Instead of being a victim of your credit report, be the master of it.  And listen to what the people here are saying.  Their experience has value and can help you.

Message 21 of 35
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

LOL

Can this just be locked?  There's been very little useful info, if anything it will confuse newcomers looking for information; however my curiosity refuses to allow me to look away.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 22 of 35
p-
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@p- wrote:

LOL

Can this just be locked?  There's been very little useful info, if anything it will confuse newcomers looking for information; however my curiosity refuses to allow me to look away.

MoreCowbell[1].jpg

Message 23 of 35
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Anderson2624,

If you please name the site where you bought the credit scores from it would be helpful.  There are many different socre models  risk, Vantage, plus adn FICO to name few. If you bought your three bureau credit report form the bureau you did not get a FICO score Hence the difference.. Experian since 2009 stopped selling the FICO socre to the consumer.   Ask Merrill Lynch who pulled your credit report  for a copy it they should provide it.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 24 of 35
p-
Valued Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

Anderson2624,

If you please name the site where you bought the credit scores from it would be helpful.  There are many different socre models  risk, Vantage, plus adn FICO to name few. If you bought your three bureau credit report form the bureau you did not get a FICO score Hence the difference.. Experian since 2009 stopped selling the FICO socre to the consumer.   Ask Merrill Lynch who pulled your credit report  for a copy it they should provide it.

Andy - 

I'm guessing by his silence that he's not interested in a rational discussion.  By not immediatley jumping on board with the conspiracy theory, we are all now "one of them".  Sorry, I mean "ONE of THEM!!!"

Message 25 of 35
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The reason for the silence the OP has not logged into the forum today.  So we will have to wait and see.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 26 of 35
hshearer
Valued Member

Just my experience.  I applied for my pre-approval  in July for my mortgage.  I pulled my FICO score here and it was 802.  My mortgage broker pulled my credit score and my middle score was 805 so, in this case, the numbers matched.

Message 27 of 35
algorithmslave
New Contributor

I have applied for a home loan myself before but did not qualify... The information here in this thread does provide insight into what could happen. Personally I do plan on keeping a close eye on the process myself when I am ready to apply. I believe it is possible for a mortgage lender to lie about ones score in order to obtain a higher interest rate but highly unlikely. Both the lender and underwriter would have to be in on it, I believe. Regardless, when the time comes, I will watch the process like a hawk. I plan on conducting my own due diligence on the targeted lender in order to find out if they do use the FICO score and what percentage of DTI they use including length of time in position or industry for income qualification. As far as pulling scores, I would pick one credit bureau to pull all three reports from and couple that subscription with this FICO site. 

You can wrap me in your flag, make me say a praise to your creator and make me spend your currency, but remember this, I am a loyal servant to Justice and a Patriot to none. I am free...
Message 28 of 35
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

INTELLIGENT RESPONCE

A few days ago I told Merryl Lynch Wealth Management that I would accept their :lies" about FnMae guidelines were changed, their lies about my Debt to Income ration being 49/51 when it is 20/80 and their need to get 4.1 APR on a 70/30 conforming loan even though they were offering at that time 3.5050 APR.

I think the OP is confused about calcukating DTI as well, but if not, he needs to understand that if he has bills totalling 80% of his gross income, it is unlikely he will be approved for any mortgage. Trying to argue with a lender that your bills are NOT 51% of your income, but rather they are much higher, at 80% of your gross income, is not going to help your case any.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 29 of 35
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

I think the OP is confused about a lot of things.

Thanks for all the good natured ribbing and patience shown here.  Funniest thread in a while.   And def more cowbell!

Smiley LOL

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.