Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factoring age into scoring?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Factoring age into scoring?

Hi everybody, I've read the forums here for awhile, thought I would go ahead and start posting! After getting up to speed on some things I've read here, I went ahead and signed up for ScoreWatch. Right now it shows my Equifax at 712! I know it's a pretty good score, but my biggest detractors seem to be average age of account and short credit history. My question is... Considering I am only 21 years old, how long will I typically have to wait until I see a dramatic improvement (20-30+ points) in those areas? It seems in order to be a "high achiever" I need to be in my 40s. This might have something to do with the "bucket" system I'm still not familiar with. Thanks everyone for your helpful insights.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Factoring age into scoring?

Yep- your in a new to credit bucket.
Keep the UTL down, never be late, don't apply for credit you don't need, and you will be GOLDEN.

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everybody, I've read the forums here for awhile, thought I would go ahead and start posting! After getting up to speed on some things I've read here, I went ahead and signed up for ScoreWatch. Right now it shows my Equifax at 712! I know it's a pretty good score, but my biggest detractors seem to be average age of account and short credit history. My question is... Considering I am only 21 years old, how long will I typically have to wait until I see a dramatic improvement (20-30+ points) in those areas? It seems in order to be a "high achiever" I need to be in my 40s. This might have something to do with the "bucket" system I'm still not familiar with. Thanks everyone for your helpful insights.

Message 2 of 4
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

mrchase928 wrote:

If you do everything right I would expect an increase very time your average account age gets a year older.  Age is one thing that there is little we can do about!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 4
jackg
Established Contributor

mrchase928,

Based on your EQ FICO score you are excercising good decision making skills, all you need to add to your efforts is, "PATIENCE".

Good Luck to ya'
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.