cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Score Improvements

tag
msfarenheit

Fast Score Improvements

I just checked my official FICO score and it's a little lower than I thought at 708. No negatives, but my length of history and AAoA are are pretty short. I have some balances on my CCs (current util 7%), but I have the cash to pay them down/off.

I'm planning to buy a new car in about a month, so I'm wondering if there are any short-term fixes that I can do to quickly raise my score a few points. I'm not expecting any miracles, but I have heard there are ways to play with the CC reported balances that can boost the FICO score a few points. If you know about any of these techniques, please let me know.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fast Score Improvements

Generally the trick to credit card util is to have all $0 balances on your CCs except for one and have less than 9% on that one.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
msfarenheit

Thanks for the tip. Does it matter which card reports the balance under 9%? I have cards with limits ranging from $750 to $10k.

Also, do you have an idea of how much a score could increase from doing that? I'd really like to get to 720, but I think that might be out of reach.

Message 3 of 4
beb86
Valued Contributor

@msfarenheit wrote:

I just checked my official FICO score and it's a little lower than I thought at 708. No negatives, but my length of history and AAoA are are pretty short. I have some balances on my CCs (current util 7%), but I have the cash to pay them down/off.

I'm planning to buy a new car in about a month, so I'm wondering if there are any short-term fixes that I can do to quickly raise my score a few points. I'm not expecting any miracles, but I have heard there are ways to play with the CC reported balances that can boost the FICO score a few points. If you know about any of these techniques, please let me know.

This is funny after you read the heading and then this statement....lol

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.