cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico 9 Score 599 - Fico 8 Score 710 - What gives!?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fico 9 Score 599 - Fico 8 Score 710 - What gives!?!?

That's odd. I spoke with, and recorded the conversation, with FICO on May 15. They said no one is pulling FICO 9 as it is still in the developmental stage, The rep I initially spoke with insisted there was no such thing as FICO 9. She then relayed the question to her supervisor who said it's in the beta stage and unavaiable as yet. So somebody, FICO or the bank is lost. Is there anyway to upload the recording here?

Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I wouldn't put much faith or credit in what a call center rep says anyways- the only thing most of them know is what their scripts say. Which should have been obvious when they gave you 3 contradicting answers.

And since it seems you don't know, Beta testing is when a product is tested on a sample of the population to make sure it works as intended before full release. That's probably why the only companies using it are small, no name companies, and not national brands.
Message 12 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

To the OP: on the disclaimer with the score, what did it state explicitly assuming you got a letter?

Huh, I hadn't thought anyone was selling it yet; however, there's something from six months ago suggesting it's now available.  Shows how much I've been paying attention Cat Tongue

http://www.fico.com/en/newsroom/fico-score-9-now-available-at-transunion

IMPF: doubtful mortgage-enhanced score, not certain anyone's pulled one of those in the wild for actual underwriting with how the market is setup, and would be suspect for student loans I'd think anyway as a mortgage is a secured loan whereas SL's are a different beast?

        
Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

The letter doesn't give the version- I had to call bank and ask to speak to loan processor. They said version is Fico 9, not an enhanced score. They only pulled Transunion.
Message 14 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
The letter doesn't give the version- I had to call bank and ask to speak to loan processor. They said version is Fico 9, not an enhanced score. They only pulled Transunion.

Oh.  I'm a little surprised on the difference too but we don't know enough about it yet.  I did think with my one collection being paid that I'd probably get a bump of some sort over FICO 8.  

Transunion did apparently update their product list, but only selling the Classic rather than any industry option yet so it's safe to assume it wasn't enhanced:

FICO® Risk Score, Classic 9

ETA: Playing "What would an underwriter think" I'm having a hard time figuring out why the score is so much different, it's not like your file sucks compared to most people's.

        
Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beta testing means they are sampling it PRIOR to commercial release. That means no one is using it to make credit decisions.

Message 16 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Beta testing means they are sampling it PRIOR to commercial release. That means no one is using it to make credit decisions.

FICO press releases suggest it's been available EQ/TU for six months, and EX for 3 months.  Hard to say unless there's an explicit version on the disclaimer or we can match it with some other available score (or not match it, vis a vis EQ 9 will likely be the first we can get a real handle on as the prior versions are available elsewhere easily) unless there's an explicit score disclaimer on the letter sent to a consumer.

Might be just in the trial phases at certain / many lenders, but there's likely some sweetheart deal being offered to some smaller institutions to try it if I had to guess by this point but I don't know the historical adoption rates for the prior algorithms.  

        
Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that is the key word "available". I called TransUnion™ they say they are not using it. I couldn't get an answer from Equifax™ or Experian™. The "available" word is what started me looking into this. I know how these rumors are spread. I was an EVP at Chase, owned a collection agency and am writing a book. This is research. If you are the moderator for myFICO™ don't you have the ear of someone at FICO™. since myFICO is FICO. Can't you ask someone what the deal is? They tout this stuff years before anyone uses it. They get ppl with lousy credit anticipating being able to access credit and they can't.

Message 18 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes that is the key word "available". I called TransUnion™ they say they are not using it. I couldn't get an answer from Equifax™ or Experian™. The "available" word is what started me looking into this. I know how these rumors are spread. I was an EVP at Chase, owned a collection agency and am writing a book. This is research. If you are the moderator for myFICO™ don't you have the ear of someone at FICO™. since myFICO is FICO. Can't you ask someone what the deal is? They tout this stuff years before anyone uses it. They get ppl with lousy credit anticipating being able to access credit and they can't.

Both Equifax and Transunion list FICO 9 scores as purchaseable.  This is in their publicly disclosed regulatory information, not certain the CSR you spoke to has it right, as they're not really in a position to know what's being pulled by the lenders as a general rule.  Front-line Transunion consumer rep wouldn't have access to that data directly, so we're likely talking grape-vine which is all sorts of problematic.  Probably prohibited from disclosing what scores are being purchased by what lender, competitive advantage potentially, so I'm not certain it would really be common knowledge.

Quite likely a number of lenders are field trialing it, is possible some lender switched to it as intimated in this post.  In an EVP role at Chase depending which division I would assume you're likely aware that lenders do pull multiple scores, in some cases to run them against their portfolio to see if they're a better predictor of risk.  Or the CSR in the OP's message could've been wrong too... unfortunately hard to know but to be clear, CSR's get it wrong a lot, regardless of company... Chase is no exception to that heh.

As for being a moderator (or former one in my case, stepped down several months ago) no, this is a volunteer position and they simply don't disclose that level of information typically to us; about the only time we ever got anything close was when everyone (including yours truly and the other moderators) screamed bloody murder at their updating the Equifax product here to FICO 8 from the gold standard of FICO 04. as they did tell us that FICO 8 was the dominant pull in the market by a large margin.

Sadly no bat phone for yours truly Smiley Happy.

        
Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx for the input. Oddly enough unless you are credentialed media, they won't even let you talk to anyone that has a clue. That being said they should advise CSRs to say they don't know instead of giving out wrong info, You can only get one rung up the ladder to a supvr and they are clueless too. My contention is press releases from FICO should indicate testing not in general use as this may never be in general use. Banking industry is very slow to change esp when its to the consumer's advantage unless the hammer of Thor gets involved .....CFPB. Thx agin 4UrHelp

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.