Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico 98 vs Fico 04

tag
kenworthguy
Regular Contributor

Fico 98 vs Fico 04

Hi, I have seen alot of talk on these threads about my fico 98 and myfico 04.what's the difference between the two, does it make a difference on your CS , Why do the lenders get the 04 version and we get the 98. Just wondering how much of a difference it makes on TU CR.  Thanks for keeping things simple and helping me to understand how this credit stuff works.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fico 98 vs Fico 04

@kenworthguy wrote:

Hi, I have seen alot of talk on these threads about my fico 98 and myfico 04.what's the difference between the two, does it make a difference on your CS , Why do the lenders get the 04 version and we get the 98. Just wondering how much of a difference it makes on TU CR.  Thanks for keeping things simple and helping me to understand how this credit stuff works.

I'm certainly not an expert on this subject but I do know that those are versions of a Transunion score. The TU98 is older and is sold here. The newer TU04 is what most lenders seem to be using these days. Why we can't buy the newer TU04 here is something that has been discussed long before I came around.

It does seem to make some difference in scores when looking at TU98 and when lenders pull TU04 but I'll let others give the details about this since it still confuses me.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

One difference is in the area of Auto and Mortgage inquiries. With FICO 98 inquires made for this type loans made with 30 days would count as one inquiry with FICO 04 it is now 45 days. Anytime a score model is changes some people will recieve higher scores some will receive lower scores with the new model and others will not see a change. How the change(s) would affect you depends on your credit history,

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 4
kenworthguy
Regular Contributor

thank you MarineVietVet and AndySoCal for the replies, I was just wondering what the differance was betweeen the two, it all sounds to complicated to me, lol, I think i will just stick with keeping an eye on my scores and continue working to improve them and not worry about how all this credit reporting stuff works. Thanks again for all the help and advice i have gotten from people  in the fico communities, it's really very appreciated.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.