Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico Drop 20 PTS

tag
mab6311
New Contributor

Fico Drop 20 PTS

Applied for a new CC got 3,000 credit line, wanted to get the sign on bonus so I charged 2,800 on it. I check my fico score today to find out that it dropped 20pts Smiley Surprised because I used more than 90% credit limit on that card. Total credit in all is about 40k. All other credit cards have $0 but amex gold which get pd every month about 800/monthly expense run though it. If I pay this off will my score go back up 20 pts next month? or how long till it goes back up? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
SRAGS
Regular Contributor

Re: Fico Drop 20 PTS

It will go back only 10 to 12 points. That's why you should pay at least some portion or full before statement generates.
Message 2 of 17
ElCamino
Contributor

Part of your drop in score is more than likely due to the actual opening of the new account and the inquiry required for approval.

How many accounts did you have prior to the new card and how old were they? The thinner and younger your portfolio is, the harder a new account is going to hurt your score.

Given that your overall util is low, even with the charges on the new card, I can't see that being the sole reason for your score dropping.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 3 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Most of your ding / score drop was a result of the new INQ /HP

But paying that card down will also help in the recovery process Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 17
mab6311
New Contributor

Last HP was about 5 months ago for CLI. AAA is 4 years, hard inq are 3 in the last 2 years

Message 5 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mab6311 wrote:

Last HP was about 5 months ago for CLI. AAA is 4 years

Oh I thought this was a new HP account in that case pay it off and reap the rewards to credit score

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 17
mab6311
New Contributor

no i mean the last hard pull was 1 month for the new acct and the hard pull before that was 5 months ago
Message 7 of 17
ElCamino
Contributor

@mab6311 wrote:
no i mean the last hard pull was 1 month for the new acct and the hard pull before that was 5 months ago

Ok, well depending on the number of accounts you have reporting, you've lowered your AAoA enough to drop that score down. It will climb back up with time.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 8 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mab6311 wrote:

Lol ok then the first answer i gave you applies 

the HP + high UTL= score drop

Pay down = recovery of some points YMMVSmiley LOL

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 17
mab6311
New Contributor

suggestion on how long i should Garden?
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.