Super Contributor

Re: Fico Drop 20 PTS

@mab6311 wrote:
suggestion on how long i should Garden?

5-6 months would be best minimum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

As long as you can Smiley Tongue
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@mab6311 wrote:
suggestion on how long i should Garden?

As far as the score drop, I agree with above, you have three things at play, the appearance of a new account which lowered your AAoA, the addition of a new inquiry, and the high utilization.  Once the utilization is paid down, there will be no lingering effect for the prior high utilization.  You'll get all of those points back.  But you may still have an effect from the new account and inquiry.  That will fade with time, and eventually that new account willl help you achieve a higher score.

As for how long to garden, it completely depends on what your goals are.  What is your score?  Did it drop 20 points from 780 to 760?  If that's the case, it doesn't matter at all.  You don't need to garden if you don't want to.  Do you have any major purchases coming up?  Do you have baddies on  your reports?  Gardening has to be considered in context. 

A person who has negatives on their reports and is trying to get everything in order for a mortgage app needs every last point they can get.  That person needs to be extremely concious about adding new accounts and needs to be inquiry sensitive.  But someone with a clean report doesn't need to obsess over AAoA and inquiries as much, especially if that person isn't planning on a big purchase anytime soon. 

A lot of people who come to this site start from a position of credit rebuilding or credit repair.  They just applied for a ton of cards, tanked their score, and then learn all about inquiries and AAoA.  For those people, gardening can make a lot of sense.  However, what happens, in my opinion, is there tends to be an overemphasis on gardening and raising your score just for the sake of a high score.  People forget that inquiries only count for 10% and length of credit history is something like 15%.  For clean reports, you can still have a great score with average AAoA and quite a few inquiries.  So you get threads where people with ~800 scores freak out because an inquiry casued them to lose 15 points!!!    

So all that said, what are you trying to accomplish.  Do you still have scores above 700?  If so, and you're not planning on a house or car purchase, garden however long you want to.  If you see a credit card that you like or want to take advantage of a sign up bonus, I wouldn't worry about it.  There's no hard and fast rule about waiting 6 months.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 17
mab6311
New Contributor

score went from 760 to 740, looking at mgt in about a year. 

Message 14 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you're applying for a mortage in a year, I would stay in the garden until you have your mortgage out of the way.  Especially if you are considering conventional where getting your score back up to 760 could make a slight difference in rate.  After that, you don't need to worry so much about inquiries.  You have great scores.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ElCamino wrote:

Part of your drop in score is more than likely due to the actual opening of the new account and the inquiry required for approval.

How many accounts did you have prior to the new card and how old were they? The thinner and younger your portfolio is, the harder a new account is going to hurt your score.

Given that your overall util is low, even with the charges on the new card, I can't see that being the sole reason for your score dropping.

This is correct, after you PIF you'll get probably half of those points back.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 17
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Hi. I would say that with your credit profile, your score will recover almost completely once you pay down the balance and your credit card reports again. You got dinged not only for util% but you also got penalized by exceeeding certain dollar thresholds on that one account. You get dinged if you bill goes over 99 dollars then over 499, then over 1000, then over 2500. These are sample dollar thresholds. It is not possible to say what the real values are cause they vary by scorecards. However fico has published guidance that they do deduct points at certain dollar thresholds per tradeline. I believe that your number of inquiries is low enough that having added one more will not have marginally affected your score at all or at least on only a very limited basis. Good luck.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.