Frequent Contributor
CreditBob

Fico Score & Utilization Percentage

Here is a question that I have & hope that someone can answer. One of the reason risk codes comes back as "High balance on revolving account". The credit limit is $ 1,000 and the utilzation rate was at 99% or a balance of $ 990. At what balance or utilization percentage will it no longer be a factor as a high balance as far as keeping the score lower? In other owrds when I am at 75%, 50%, or what balance & utilzation?

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Fico Score & Utilization Percentage

Balance is a separate FICO code. Sometimes you'll see a reason code saying "the balances on your revolving accounts are too high".

Per util, ideally you'd want to have all CCs at $0 but one and get the one to under 9% of the CL. YMMV on everyone's credit of course. But I personally have seen a negative comment of high util at 16 or 18% (I'd have to dig up old reports...def. under 20%). It's YMMV on your credit and scoring bucket. Some can have high util at 50% and not see the comment.

Frequent Contributor
CreditBob

Ok thanks. Do you think that if the average utilzation percentage is around 75%, down from 99%, the average on 6 revolving accounts, that the score will go up some what (a little)?? 

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

[ Edited ]

Probably not, unless FICO saw any card at 100% or more as maxed. If util is listed as a top one or two neg. item on the FICO report, and if someone with 99% has a solid mix of credit (3 or more CCs), then that person probably won't see any gains until the card hits below 50%, and will rapidly see increases below that threshold, especially below 20%-30%.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+