Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico Score did not improve after 7 month credit card activity

tag
fico64
New Contributor

Fico Score did not improve after 7 month credit card activity

I Last checked my Eqifax Fico score 7 months ago. It was suggested that I start using my credit card and pay the balance immediately to show activity. (was not using credit card) Well I have done just that and my score has not moved, not even 1 point, still exactly the same as 7 months ago. In fact my credit report says " ... no recent activity on card ... "  I have been using the card for 7 months! It was said in forum, after about 90 days of credit card activity, my score would improve. Should I appeal this score?  I have a 20 year credit history, average age of account is 10 years, only 2 delinquent accounts 60 days late, both very old, one of of which is 6 years 1 month and the other 5 years 9 months old.

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

Re: Fico Score did not improve after 7 month credit card activity

preach to the choir.  i have 18 months of history post bk and i cannot see six hundred points to save my life.

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 2 of 58
fico64
New Contributor

To expand on my question above, my report states that there is no recent activity on my credit card ( part of the scoring model?) yet the report is accurately showing the last activity under that account is August, 2012.

I think the scoring model is incorrect since it egnores my last 7 months of activity on that account. 

How do I report this, to whom?

Message 3 of 58
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Going back to the basics....

Were both scores pulled via myFICO.com?

Were any accounts added within the past year besides the CC?

Did any accounts disappear off your CR?

Message 4 of 58
fico64
New Contributor

Ilecs:

In last 7 months, both reports purchased from myfico.com and both from Equifax.

No accounts added in last 6 years.

An old paid off account from over 10 years ago dropped off, and in the meantime, my credit history increased from plus 19 years to plus 20 years and my last delinquent  account became older by 7 months to 5 years 10 months.

Message 5 of 58
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The older account dropping may or may not be an issue. Depends if it was the oldest installment, revolving, or whatever it was. Also depends if AAoA changed.

Do you still happen to have the older myFICO EQ report? If so, start by comparing the positive and negative items listed on pages 2 and 3 of your FICO report. These are a rank, in order, what helps and what hurts the most. Start with these as a guide. Focus on #1 and #2 on that list, whatever it may be.

Do you have any other open CCs aside from the one? What's the util on that card?

Message 6 of 58
fico64
New Contributor

...the old 10 year account that was removed, was prior to the credit reports purchased in last 7 months.

Message 7 of 58
fico64
New Contributor

Yes, the two reports in last 7 months are identical, except that that I have a longer credit history and 7 more months since last delinquent account.  Nothing else changed.

In the last 7 months I began using my credit card to show activity. The scoring model: #1 Good. #2 Very Good. #3 Great. #4 Great. The report says I have no activity on my credit report, which is wrong. In fact, the report states under that account, my last activity was August, 2012.

The scoring model is not reflecting my 7 months of activity and is wrong.

Message 8 of 58
fico64
New Contributor

I can see that the scoring model is not reflecting my 7 months of credit card activity because it states ... " you have no recent activity on your credit card "  I believe that is why  my score is identical to 7 months ago. 

This is wrong and I want to report this and have it corrected. How do I do this?

Message 9 of 58
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

What's the #1 and #2 negative reasons on your FICO report (pg 2...if you don't mind me asking)?

If payment history is "good", then there is a baddie or baddies present that are holding things back. Look on your Accounts page. You mentioned a negative account. Look on the Accounts page and look for any account with a red flag. Those with a red flag are holding your score back in some way or another.

If "very good" is listed for Amount of Debt. There could be utilization issues holding your score down. What's your current util?

Where is the lack of activity ranked at? #3? #4?

Message 10 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.